Glass item bowl type thing, help please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by tyeldom3, Oct 6, 2014.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

I don't know a dern thing about glass, so any help is greatly appreciated.
    Is this called cut glass? Maker? Pattern? Age?, and what is this shape called?
    It stands about 6 1/2" high, bottom base is just under 6 1/2" diameter, and top is about 8 1/2". It is also quite heavy. I see 4 seams down the sides.Oh, and sorry about the quick, bad pics.
    DSCN3185.JPG DSCN3186.JPG DSCN3187.JPG DSCN3188.JPG DSCN3189.JPG DSCN3190.JPG

2. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Could this actually be a base for a punch bowl?
    You would have to turn it over though.

3. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Yes, it is a punch bowl base. Early American Pattern Glass (EAPG.) Pressed.

Looks like it could be an Imperial Glass Nucut pattern but that's just a guess. I didn't find it with a QUICK search.

trip98, tyeldom3 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

The pattern is called Horseshoe.

trip98 and tyeldom3 like this.
  5. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Yes - This is a punch bowl stand. The flared end sits on the table.

This pattern is a tricky one. I can't think of the real maker (maybe US Glass?) and name at the moment, but it is commonly called Slewed Horseshoe. I also see it called Radiant Daisy.

Completed listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Slewed-Hors...520?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d24cf1388

I'm not sure if that's a typical finish. There's also one currently listed for auction at about half that price.

The problem comes in that Indiana Glass reproduced the punch sets in the mid-1970s, calling it Pinwheel and Star. And from that I've seen messed up variations like "Slewed Pinwheel", etc... Oh, and there are a few listed as being made by L.E. Smith Glass. I don't know if they ever produced this pattern.

1975 Indiana Glass catalog example: http://www.carnivalheaven.com/indianaglass/id239.htm

Completed eBay search: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=slewed+horseshoe&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

The reproductions are all mixed in with the originals in that search.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  6. tyeldom3

Well, goodness you all are awesome thank you so much Messi Don and bercrystal !!:kiss::kiss: I'll look into all your great info now.
    Thank you thank you

7. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Dang. Either I type really slowly, or my answers need to be more concise. LOL

I forgot to mention that I don't think the punch bowl stands were reproduced.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  8. tyeldom3

Thank you ever so much unclechuck! That's great info, and I truly appreciate it. :):kiss:

9. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

yep, this is EAPG, originaly by USG as #15111 Slewed Horseshoe, c.1908. Has been reproduced and is still marketed as 'Pinwheel & Star' by L. E. Smith

tyeldom3 likes this.
  10. tyeldom3

Thank you so much tallcakes :cat:
    Any idea if this one is a reproduction or original? How could I be able to tell?
    Thanks everyone for all the great help and education.

11. TallCakes

I'm not sure that the punch stand was reproduced. All I've found are the punch bowl and cups with under-plate. Check for wear and black light test; most EAPG will have a dim glow best seen in dark room.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  12. tyeldom3

Thanks again tallcakes, very kind of you to help. I have a black light around here somewhere, I will try that. :cat:

13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I had a Carnival glass stand that my mother used as a vase for years after the bowl broke.

tyeldom3 and TallCakes like this.
  14. TallCakes

Yes, this type of stand is often seen listed as a vase. Not really sure if the reproduction punch bowls would fit the original EAPG stands.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I had my mother's collection of Carnival glass so I collected a few pieces myself for awhile. I never did find a bowl that fit the stand so I finally sold it.

16. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

I hung on to a carnival glass Broken Arches punch bowl for years hoping to find a base. Never found one. Finally sold it. The guy I sold it to found a perfectly matching base about a week later.

17. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I've seen the under plate for the slewed horseshoe. It's another one of those 20" diameter, 15lb monsters.

18. Claire Monaco

Claire Monaco New Member

Did you look for a makers mark? I have a punchbowl and underplate with the same pattern which is a Heisey.

19. tyeldom3

Hi and welcome :)
    This thread is from October of 2014. But, no I'm sure I didn't see any markings. I still have this base stored away here somewhere.

20. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

If a punch bowl has a Diamond H on it it is not this pattern. Heisey did make a pinwheel punch bowl, but not this, This is absolutely U. S. Glass Co. No. 15111, ca 1908, this base has not been reproduced. When the bowl was reproduced, often the manufacturer would use the same mold, press a bowl, then spin it out flat to make an underplate.

tyeldom3 and gregsglass like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted