Glass pattern name for old souvenir vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by quirkygirl, Feb 27, 2017.

1. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Trying to figure out what pattern my souvenir ruby flashed (correct term?) 6¼" tall vase is, and the closest that I could find was Duncan and Miller's No. 83 or Tavern ... but that is listed as produced in 1914 ... and this vase has an engraved date of 1902.

Can the glass gurus identify this pattern? ... or were souvenir pieces just generic glass with no actual pattern name?
    P1120288(1).JPG P1120289(1).JPG

judy and aaroncab like this.
  2. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

A better term is stained most authors will use ruby stained. It is another way of using a glass mold and extending its life. The glass is pressed and then copper sulfate is painted on the area to be colored and the item fired ie heated to set the color. Modern studio workers use a gas torch and call it flashing when they run the flame over the item to set the color. Collectors of EAPG era use flashing to refer to a thin layer of colored glass on a blown item. Search for a "ruby stained vase".

quirkygirl likes this.
  3. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I haven't had any luck finding this pattern. I've looked through: Barret's Popular American Ruby-Stained Pattern Glass; Heacock's Encyclopedia of Victorian Colored Pattern Glass, Book 7, Ruby-Stained Glass From A to Z; and Pioneer Glass Company,Ltd, c1892 catalog.

--- Susan

Edit: Here are others that the sellers don't know the pattern either:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/RUBY-RED-SOUVENIR-BUD-VASE-/192111118200?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/232145449725?rmvSB=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sto...se-/172537175894?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    dgbjwc and quirkygirl like this.
  4. quirkygirl

Thank you for this info. ... I was thrown off by the deep color on this vase (I usually see ruby staining that is more pink-red), but yes - this does look stained when viewed under magnification.
    Not to say that I'll never get them confused again ... but thank you again for the correction. :)

komokwa likes this.
  5. quirkygirl

Thank you for looking! I suppose that the pattern name isn't really that important after all.

6. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

7. quirkygirl

Thanks! That's where I found the date that eliminated the D&M pattern originally. I scanned through the vases quickly without a hit ... I may look for the pattern under other shapes/items when I get some more time this evening.

8. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

There is one of these vases listed on Etsy right now. It has a leafy, viny floral pattern cut into it (wheel cut, I'd guess). If it originally had ruby stain, it's all gone now.
    [​IMG]
    Glass Trumpet Vase Pressed and Cut

I've always loved these ruby stained EAPG souvenir items since I first discovered they existed.:joyful: I like your vase, QuirkyGirl.

SBSVC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted