Glass shell - nothing special or something more interesting???

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brian Egan, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Brian Egan

Brian Egan Active Member

Hi all
    Found in a job lot.
    No marks and probably just a tourist piece? But feels like a quality piece, very weighty for its size. Measures 9cm across. Haven't managed to find anything similar online so wondered if anyone recognises the maker etc?
    Thanks in advance E4BCDBC5-794F-4AA2-9058-2C2E17668A41.jpg

2. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Is that a white stopper?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Brian Egan

Brian Egan Active Member

Nope, definitely not, thanks for reply though

4. DrPam

DrPam Active Member

I'm stumped . . . Have you tried a Google Images search?

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Looks like an egg, not a shell.
    Kind of confused what we are looking at.
    Is the picture with the black circle the bottom of the piece? Is it flat or concave.

PortableTreasures likes this.
  6. Brian Egan

Brian Egan Active Member

thanks for reply.

Yes the "black circle" is the underside and its concave. Thinks its meant to represent a shell rather than an egg. Limpet kind of thing. Must admit confused by it too and clutching at straws a bit hoping someone might recognise. Would have put it down as nothing (and it probably is) apart from up close it looks and feels like it has a bit of quality about it. Thanks all the same

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  7. Brian Egan

Brian Egan Active Member

Yeah tried it but nothing - which probably tells me something :)

8. DrPam

DrPam Active Member

I have friends who are glass artists - I'm hoping they may recognize it based on the fact there's frosted glass involved. Keep your fingers crossed.:pompous:

9. Brian Egan

Brian Egan Active Member

Thank you

10. DrPam

DrPam Active Member

Haven't heard back from my friends yet but have a question - when you turned it "upside-down" to photograph the black lacquered (?) interior, is it steady, and is the opening horizontal to the table? If so, it occurs to me that it may be a fancy egg cup for poached eggs.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  11. Jeanny

Jeanny Member

Maybe something to crush medicine

12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

13. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Agree, I see it as a decorative object like a paperweight; I rather like it.

janettekay likes this.
  14. DrPam

DrPam Active Member

I just heard from my glass artist friends - they say:
    "This is really cool, it looks like a blown glass piece, where they have used black as the inside liner, then clear with white on it, Then to top it off, the frosted glass piece was added.
    Very interesting, you are right, it is an art piece."
    Hope that helps a bit . . .

15. Brian Egan

Brian Egan Active Member

Thank you very much

Draft saved Draft deleted