Featured Glass Sherbet and Underplate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ascot, Jan 16, 2023.

1. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

This set followed me home because of the unusual lime green and black color combo and the sterling rims. The glass is cased and nice quality. Both pieces are marked sterling on the rims. I tried blacklighting and the glass just turns a very dark purple. Any ideas on the age or maker?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

elarnia, judy, Rclinftl and 13 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

go back and find more of those !!!!!!!:happy::happy:

judy, Rclinftl, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  3. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

WOW! It has a Tiffin look to me. Just a WAG

judy, KikoBlueEyes, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  4. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

It was sitting by itself at auction. No one else wanted it so I ponied up $5 for it. I’d love to have a set.

judy, Rclinftl, KikoBlueEyes and 4 others like this.
  5. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I think Lancaster did a line in green glass with black trim, but this is cased and heavy for its size.

judy, Rclinftl, KikoBlueEyes and 4 others like this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

How gorge! I would make room for one of these sets myself. I've never seen one like it, so don't know who made it. For some reason though it doesn't look American to me, rather European. BWDIK. Hope you're able to find some more.

judy, Rclinftl, KikoBlueEyes and 3 others like this.
  8. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

That sterling rim is rather unique.

judy, Rclinftl, KikoBlueEyes and 3 others like this.
  9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

At the end of 2021 I found and sold a beautiful 4 section glass relish. It was very good quality glass and it had a deep floral cutting or engraving AND a sterling silver rim. The person who bought it went crazy over it and left glowing FB. The Sterling mark on the rim was just like yours and I thought it to be a rather generic mark. Never did figure out who made the glass but I was pretty sure that a decoorting house did the engraving and the sterling trim. Maybe your sherbet was decorated by someone other than the glass maker. The color is just stunning and it looks kind of deco to me. .

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

SCRUMPTIOUS!!!!!

Rclinftl and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

It reminds me of the Moderne Classic line by Indiana Glass except that line has painted on silver decoration not sterling - I love the Indiana Modern line - and I love that sherbet of yours! maybe add "opaque" to your search? It has a higher end glass house look to it like Pairpoint....

ascot and judy like this.
  12. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

You may be on to something. In the case of my relish, the seller said that every other piece of "good" crystal in the house was signed Hawkes but I couldn't find a signature anywhere and I was fairly certain that It would sell high even without a signature. So I just stopped researching and sold it.

Rclinftl, *crs* and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

The glass is translucent, not opaque. And it's thick because it's cased in clear, which also makes it heavy.

bercrystal, pearlsnblume and *crs* like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted