Featured Glass Squirrel - Swedish Mats Jonasson

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by evelyb30, Jan 24, 2022.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

@Ownedbybear wanted some shots of the marks. These are some quick and dirties taken in natural daylight. I've found lots of him on the Web, but that mark is pretty well illegible. Prices ranged from $20 to $190 for the same piece. He's going to be a friend's Christmas present in all likelihood.

DSCF7646.JPG DSCF7647.JPG DSCF7650.JPG

Lark, Figtree3, elarnia and 4 others like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I love your squirrel!

Once upon a time I had an iguana by him though I sold it several years ago. If it helps here are the photos of that guy with sig.

iguana 9 copy.jpg iguana 3 copy seg.jpg iguana 1 copy label.jpg

Born2it, Figtree3, dude and 2 others like this.
  3. evelyb30

I've seen the plastic tag before. Thanks; mine is pretty well shot.

dude and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hell's teeth, that's illegible. Yeah, he's Jonasson. I can't even think what that word is, it makes no sense.

Figtree3, dude and judy like this.
  5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I have one too. An owl. I took a pic with my phone to show you but it hasn't come through to my email as yet.

Figtree3 and dude like this.
  6. evelyb30

I'm good; ain't nobody good enough to read that mess! Looking forward to the owl though.

judy, dude and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

I have had a few over the years..I could always read his siggie..but not the others from the studio. Had a few with plastic label and a few with both..clear plastic and hand signed. They do nice work and the glass used is so clear and brilliant...

Figtree3, dude and Aquitaine like this.
  8. evelyb30

I've had a piece or two before. Those plastic labels come loose sometimes, and get worn off others. The Blenko piece I bought with the squirrel was etched with the name and date, and also had the remains of a plastic label. The plastic was there, but the printing on said label was gonesville.

dude likes this.
  9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

The owl.....approx. 6x6.

matsonowl.jpg

Born2it, Lark, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I also have a mini....3/3

Polar bear.

matsonbear.jpg

Born2it, Figtree3 and say_it_slowly like this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Looking at some of the sigs online... I think the last word in yours is "Sweden" -- and although yours doesn't look much like it, I think the rest is possibly the name Mats Jonasson. I think I see two letter "s" near the end of the first part in yours. This similar squirrel appears to me to say "Mats Sweden" -- At least to my creative mind it does. Not to the logical mind.

[​IMG]

https://www.20thcenturyglass.com/st...oduct_info&cPath=275_279_353&products_id=4249

judy likes this.
  12. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I agree with you Fig.

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That's the MJ mark, seen often on smaller pieces rather than the full signature.

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Mj Sweden is signed that way on the bear.

The larger one is a scribble of his full name & country. But without the label, it would be anyone's guess not familar with his work.

We window shopped his store in Stockholm.

Born2it and Figtree3 like this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Oh, I see!

judy likes this.
  16. evelyb30

Surprise surprise.(LOL) I think the bear is the one I sold, but that one had a legible mark on it.

judy and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted