Featured Glass Urn with lid

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Alun Bevan, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Alun Bevan

Alun Bevan New Member

hi, i’m Clearing my mothers house and have the following item but can’t find any information on it.

It’s made of glass and has a removable lid, it’s about 20 inch in height

I can’t see any marks on the urn and it’s at least 80+ years old

. 35456833-2511-4222-9D7D-4FDC61696EC5.jpeg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Alun! :)
    Even if not marked, it’s good to show the underneath.

scoutshouse, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  3. Alun Bevan

Alun Bevan New Member

446B94B0-43A3-4BDA-ABBC-BE4F91F8D7ED.jpeg
    Picture of the underneath.

KSW, scoutshouse and i need help like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

So, just to explain since it’s your first post. People from all countries and all different types of antiques participate. If you don’t get a response right away, always keep an eye on your post for feedback. ;)

KSW, scoutshouse and judy like this.
  5. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Please share why you are positive it is 80+ years old.

scoutshouse likes this.
  6. Alun Bevan

Alun Bevan New Member

The urn can be seen in a photograph when my grandmother was a child, my grandmother would have been over a hundred years old now.

yourturntoloveit, KSW and i need help like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

love to see that photo....

yourturntoloveit and i need help like this.
  8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Welcome Alun Bevan - I keep thinking it was part of a pair of mantel urns. One would have sat on each end of a mantle piece. I don't doubt the age. The style and decoration would match Bohemian items from the circa 1900's. I have to admit I'm not familiar with that shape though.

Many manufacturers produced these type of items in late 19th and early 20th centuries. They came over to the US by the boatload from all over Europe but primarily Bohemia, France, Germany, and England. Often these pieces were produced for import firms who frankly did not really care where the items were made as long as the manufacturer could match the importer's price point. It is rare to find marked glass pieces from this era.

Please keep in mind that this is just my opinion. Regardless of where it was made it is a lovely piece. Hopefully someone will come along who can help you further.
    Don

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm with Don on this. Bohemian, early 20th, one of a pair.

10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I have one just like it only with a different decoration. The color has a special name but I can't remember what it is. I was told that it is a Bristol Vase. But I think Bohemian is more likely.

judy and i need help like this.
  11. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Bristol is a misused term.
    Bristol is a place in England that made a soft blue glass. It was copied by others, particularly Bohemia.

I agree with the late 1800s to pre WWI time frame and Bohemia origin.

judy likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Bristol. Arg. One of the most misused terms......!

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted