Featured Glass vase with gilt etch

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by drg642, Feb 25, 2021.

1. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

This is about 4 inches tall, nice quality glass. Is this an elegant glassware pattern, something else? I don't know what to call it. I did a google image search, and looked at a lot of the etches shown in chataboutdg. Any directional help at all appreciated. Thank you.

g1.JPG g2.JPG g3.JPG

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

19thc English I think

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Historically the two main producers of this style of glass were Spain (La Granja) although this doesn't look in their style, the other was the Austro-Bohemian region including Moser. Intaglio cut glass with gilt was also made elsewhere but not in the same quantities. There is a specific name for it, but it escapes me - I'll reply again if I can recall it. If you search for 'gilded intaglio glass' that should set you on the right track.

komokwa likes this.
  4. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Thank you both.

komokwa likes this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

JMHO, I do not think the design is etched, I think it's engraved then decorated with gold. Very pretty and I also suspect 19th century :)

6. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Many similar found using gilt/gold/gilded intaglio, thank you very much. Some real showstoppers compared to my pretty little piece.
    My searches reminded me of a plate I have, which is cut and colored on the back side, has seen better days, but still I like it.
    ip2.JPG ip1.JPG

Bakersgma and bercrystal like this.
  7. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

You're welcome.

Nice plate, the style of rim was popular in the UK around 1850 ish and is called a double cyma. Hard to say if this is the same period but it does have a mid 19th century aesthetic.

komokwa likes this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Still say English, possibly Webb.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  9. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

No matter where it was made, it is a beautifully executed piece.

10. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

11. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Thank you, does look quite similar to mine.

Draft saved Draft deleted