Featured Glassies,salt cellar?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by johnnycb09, Feb 2, 2018.

1. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hi all. I would have put this in the Finds thread but I sometimes feel stuff gets lost on there and Im really curious about this one. Its about 3 1/2 high,1 1/2 wide,and I cant find any silver marks but Id swear it is silver? it was blacker than black when I found it.I assume its a salt cellar,but those wings open and close so is that just a decorative thing or is there a purpose? Any ideas are always appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Calling @DragonflyWink !

Silver, a swan AND a salt cellar? Right up her alley!

Christmasjoy, komokwa, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Silverplate, circa 1970s-80s copies of slightly earlier sterling salts, sold under different names, one that comes to mind is Leonard Silver/Towle's 'Eales 1779' line (seem to recall that they were made in Japan)...

~Cheryl

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I don't think a salt seller, as Cheryl said 1970s. Probably saccharin.
    And of course, I could be wrong.

johnnycb09 and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. DragonflyWink

I'm quite sure on the dating and purpose, I sold them at retail in the late '70s, and there's been a set in my Mom's collection for decades, given to her new in the same era.

Here is an Eales 1779 set in original box, made in Japan, with the really awful original spoons: www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/eales-1770-set-glass-silver-metal-1788089334

And a Regal set, made in Italy, also in original box, same dreadful spoons: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Regal-Silver-Swan-Salt-Pepper-with-Spoons-Made-in-Italy-Original-Box-/292367588468?nma=true&si=UpSDAzFkOKX667TL9gimJiWOfYo%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
    ~Cheryl

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    clutteredcloset49 and SBSVC like this.
  6. Chris Mount

Chris Mount Getting there

Saw 2 of these in japan. One was from my little shop I spent a bit of time in he had it for 22 dollars. The exact same one was in an antique shop they had it for 100 and listed it as silver. I went back to buy the other not being able to confirm it was silver bit after checking when I got home dragonfywink spot on it is only plated but they are pretty delightful. C

Christmasjoy and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. Chris Mount

Not sure if it makes a difference but mine has frosted glass 15175971281490.jpg

8. DragonflyWink

9. DragonflyWink

They were made in sterling, with wings and without, the 1956 ad below shows them in sterling with Cupid spoons; the other pic is a fuzzy enlargement from an old pic of my Mom's collection, showing a variety of similar swans...

swansaltcellars1956blackstarrgorham-2.jpg

salts-mom-1-a.jpg

~Cheryl

Christmasjoy and SBSVC like this.
  10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Wow,again thank you all so much ! Actually thats 2 mysterys solved,the tray I thought said "Ales" is actually "Eales" and came from the same estate sale! Pity its not sterling,but thats okay,Im only $3 in. :) And I do like it. I appreciate you all so much.

Christmasjoy and SBSVC like this.
  11. Chris Mount

Aaaahhh maybe they did have one thanks Cheryl

Draft saved Draft deleted