Featured Glassies,spatter glass ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by johnnycb09, Mar 28, 2017.

1. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hi all. Picked up this cutie today. Its 9 1/2 inches tall,and I cant decide if its czech splatter or Chinese copy . The fact its a bud vase as opposed to a candlestick intrigued me.Any input is appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Went back and looked again.
    I can see your dilemma. Czech or China?

Lovely.

johnnycb09 and cxgirl like this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I like this, that is quite the ruffle/crimp base on it:) Maybe @desperate_fun will see this and know who made it.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  4. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

It does not look like what I think of as spatter glass. To me it looks like the red was on the outside of the gather and pulled up similar to doing a pulled feather decoration. No idea who or where but like it.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  5. johnnycb09

I was told it might be 'Ruckl' ,thats why I said splatter,thats what they called it. While it does look like something they would have made,I cant find an exact match.

6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

johnny, it is spatter glass rather than splatter glass:)

judy likes this.
  7. johnnycb09

Doh ! Color me embarrassed ! I thought I was too young for a senior moment,guess not !LOL !

judy, komokwa and cxgirl like this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lauragarnet likes this.
  9. johnnycb09

That is VERY interesting ! especially the part about the yellow interior.Thank you ! I think it stands a better chance of being Welz than Ruckl.

judy likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't care ' what' it is.......it's still very handsome !!!!!!
    Nice Find !!!!!:happy:

judy likes this.
  11. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

I'm a little late to the party but I would lean towards Welz as well.

johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not Chinese, certainly Bohemian.

johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  13. johnnycb09

Thank you all so much! :)

14. toomanytocount

toomanytocount Boredom is a sin.

Hi, the Welz have it, a tall footed candle holder. A few Ruckl and Welz collectors don't get along btw in USA. Kinda like the Hatfields and the McCoys long term hillbilly feud.

Some differences you can look for: the inside glass color for Welz has often a whole range of opaque colors such as pink, green, blue, yellow, white and red. Also, they have added clear glass rigaree or trailings, or foot rests or handles etc. The majority of the pieces are on the small side, 7 inches or less including those impressive trophy vases.

Ruckl is made differently, interior colors are mostly cobalt blue or red, but the majority of spatters are sandwiched between 2 heavy clear glass surfaces. You can see through it from the inside out. This is a short version summary of course.

Glad to answer and help. :happy:

15. johnnycb09

Was pretty sure we got it,but clarification is always nice. Thank you very much !

lauragarnet and toomanytocount like this.
  16. toomanytocount

Youre welcome, if there are more questions about this kind of glass, I'm always willing to help, as knowing one brand is not enough, you have to have a good idea of what else was being made and exported at the same time to judge.
    There are still huge holes in our Czech glass identification process, since the country survived WWII and the Communist regime with little or no documentation left from the early 20th century up to 1939.

johnnycb09 and lauragarnet like this.
  17. nokita

nokita New Member

Let us try a little coined description (reference to above comments) for the glasswork..."bohemian spatter splatter cased glass with hobnail design clear base" candlestick or vase"...then use google under images and see if it works for comparison. Let the interested use "bohemian spatter splatter glass" and "hobnail glass" or whatever related. Then research what/when/where-ever it may lead

18. toomanytocount

Good luck! Even if you use the right make, description, etc. What comes up in the search image engine, is a slew of a variety of glass, Pinterest is the same, and they want to sell you shoes too!

aaroncab likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted