Glassies: What are the difference between Adams Palace & Smith Moon & Star

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by *crs*, Nov 15, 2018.

1. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

Hopefully someone can show me the deference between Adams Palace clear compote and Smith/Wright Clear Compotes. I asked awhile back in the Moon & Star FB group and someone said the stem was hollow. I asked them to explain or at least show me an example but no one ever responded. Not exactly what hollow stem infers to. It could be hollow from the top all the way down to the top of the lid or is it hollow from inside the lid up into the stem? I have a 7 3/4" compote that has a 1/2" hollow/divot? in the top of the stem. Also a 12" the same way. Both in crystal. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Large one
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Age. Very little of Smith's was done in crystal....I dunno about hollow.

*crs*, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. *crs*

Thanks Tom, are you thinking these are Palace? In the FB group I mentioned someone had post a list of colors from the Moon & Star book 1st edition. It showed crystal being produced by Smith and Wright.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    judy likes this.
  4. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

haven't really studied the compotes; but with the cake stand the stem/pedestal is solid and a noticeably different design; the foot of the reproductions is more domed and a smaller diameter than the originals. I'm not sure about the glass used by Smith; but one check might be to do a UV black light test where EAPG pieces would have a faint green glow. Having the faint glow might NOT necessarily be a determinant (cause some companies did make more recent vintage glass that glows), but the lack of the glow would be.

Might try studying the examples at EAPGS.org and compare to those listed at "R". But try using the colored examples at "R" cause you can't be certain that they did not incorrectly use a original piece in the crystal examples.

judy likes this.
  5. *crs*

Thanks Don. The larger one has a definite green tint. It showed up in one of the pictures I took. I'll post it tomorrow. I've already shut my desktop down for the night

judy likes this.
  6. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I cannot speak to the Smith production of Moon & Stars, but L. G. Wright, between 1956 and when they closed in the 1990s Had made for them 66,437 6" compote tall bases, 2605 of which were crystal. 6" covers, 94,987, of which 5225 were crystal. That's almost 4% of production in crystal. Not very many in crystal, to my way of thinking.

(This data from a monograph produced by the MAG on LG Wright production, taken from Wright production records.)

judy, i need help and *crs* like this.
  7. *crs*

Thanks Tom

judy and i need help like this.
  8. *crs*

Don, you can definitely see a green tint on the larger one via the pictures above. This is an inside shot of the large compote. The book mentioned above is by George & Linda Breeze. I have the 2nd edition and the color list is not in it.[​IMG]

judy likes this.
  9. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

the best way to observe the green fluorescence (glow) in EAPG crystal is with a black light in total darkness. Turning the glass will show the 'glow' at the glass edges and in the design details. It is a bit difficult to photograph since that requires long exposure times. Photos more easily show the purple reflection of the black light; so you have to carefully position the glass to capture the fluorescence.

here's an example with an original Fostoria 1641; notice the yellow-green at the thick edge of the plateau and in the detailing shown in the bottom of the plateau:

[​IMG]

compared to the Centennial II reissue piece which is lead crystal; the 'glow' in the center of this piece is from the adhesive used to join the plateau:

[​IMG]

Figtree3, UncleChuckTX, judy and 3 others like this.
  10. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

11. *crs*

Thanks George. I'll check that site out.

judy likes this.
  12. *crs*

George the only thing I read about Palace is:

For pieces with more elaborate details, such as twisted handles, the handles themselves were made separately and added to select pieces of the pattern. As a way to determine the age of a piece, the older pieces can be distinguished from the newer pieces by looking at whether or not a piece has the desirable twisted handle.

I don't see an example of a twist handle nor do they say which pieces had it.

13. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

That site is better for the more recent colored production which I thought might help.

*crs* likes this.
  14. *crs*

Thanks George

Draft saved Draft deleted