globe:celestial old world 1600s zodiac signs, dragons,ships

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by antique85, May 22, 2018.

1. antique85

antique85 Well-Known Member

Thank you for helping me with identification of this Brown antique globe with outer ring with zodiac signs and pictures. and another ring directly around globe with variety of "zonas" "
    The stand is broken.
    I can not find anything on the globe to identify the manufacturer or where it was made.
    Any information to help identify it and its approximate worth would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for your time,

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Popular decorative item from the 1960s. Made in Italy.

Debora

kyratango, Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. antique85

Thank you Debora. I appreciate the link. Is there anything on the globe that would identify the manufacturer or date of issue. I looked and looked and could not find anything. Thank you for your time.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The manufacturer is unimportant. To the best of my knowledge, they were made in Florence and may well have come out of small workshops. Regardless, they were basically souvenir items from the beginning of mass tourism -- 1960s into the 1970s. Given that your globe appears to have damage to paper and the stand is broken, IMO it has no value.

Debora

6. antique85

Thank you Deborah. I appreciate your taking the time to explain this.

7. Natasha

Natasha Well-Known Member

I have a similar globe which serves as bar. It was bought in France in 1980. Probably Italin production. No manufacturer identification on mine.
    Natasha

Globe.jpg

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I believe they are still making them. I certainly saw them a couple of years ago in a shop that sells Italian furniture.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

An internet image search for "wood globe" and "Italy" brings up a variety of examples including book ends.

Debora

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Of course, where are my manners, welcome, @antique85 .

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted