Featured Goebel figurine, genuine or reproduction?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Elen Beattie, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hi all. I haven't had much luck with ceramics etc so I'll give this one a go! I think it is Goebel (maybe?!) What do you think? I can't find one exactly the same. I did see one that looked like a similar pose but was painted very colourfully. What age do you think it is? Thanks :shy:

image0 (34).jpeg image1 (29).jpeg image2 (20).jpeg image3 (18).jpeg

cxgirl, judy, lovewrens and 1 other person like this.
  2. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

The mark looks right for 1930s Goebel . I think this was introduced in 1936 I haven't been able to find this particular figure. Most I have seen are cold painted on bisque whereas this one is underglaze coloured porcelain. If genuine then perhaps a rarity.

cxgirl, Lucille.b and ulilwitch like this.
  3. Elen Beattie

Oh interesting! Thanks for that, more investigation needed then :)

ulilwitch likes this.
  4. Elen Beattie

I found this:

GoebelDate.jpg

Does this mean mine could be earlier than 1923 if genuine?

cxgirl, judy and ulilwitch like this.
  5. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

The site I looked at didn’t have that earlier mark. It does look like that one.

cxgirl, judy, ulilwitch and 2 others like this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Rontgen says 1935-37. You could check the "Porcelain Marks and More" site.

judy and Elen Beattie like this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I can't tell if it's original or a knock-off. The problem is that there is a Goebel figurine designed by Oeslau Wilhelmsfeld that is very close to this, but not the same:
    Image1.jpg

cxgirl, John Brassey and judy like this.
  8. Elen Beattie

Yes, this is the only one I found too that looks the same! I am finding it difficult to research it I must admit.

moreotherstuff and judy like this.
  9. Elen Beattie

I have sent a message to Goebel Porzellan, will see what they say or who they pass me on to!

10. Elen Beattie

For anyone who is interested, I got a very quick response from Goebel Porzellan (they were very helpful!). They said:

The model number 9125: Children's group "Defiant Head" Girl with a ball, behind a boy standing.

They sent me a document that I've screen capped to the relevant part here:
    GoebelMarks.JPG
    The mark on mine looks similar to the 1914-1920 one but also has similarities to the 1923 one, what do you think? If anyone would like this document I'd be happy to send it to you!

They said they couldn't tell me much more but did say that they thought it was a rare figure. Not bad for a thrift shop find :)

11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

this is an interesting thread, I've never seen the 1871 & 1890 marks before, thanks for sharing this Elen:)
    Great thrift shop find, I think your mark looks like the 1914-1920 mark:)

12. Elen Beattie

Thanks for that!

cxgirl and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted