Featured Going to sell two items, need some suggestions on price

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Asian Fever, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

Both items are Tibet item. Anyone can suggest some fair retail price on them? Thanks
    upload_2017-4-13_19-6-17.png

upload_2017-4-13_19-6-54.png

upload_2017-4-13_19-7-32.png

upload_2017-4-13_19-7-51.png

Attached Files:

Joshua Brown, CGB_Spender and cxgirl like this.
  2. Asian Fever

3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

What happened to when now all we get are people wanting to sell??????

Joshua Brown likes this.
  4. Asian Fever

Got these items almost for free. My partner bought a duplex foreclosure last year and found tons of stuffs inside it. The house is totally a nightmere, I grabbed a whole truck stuffs from him. :woot:

Joshua Brown, CGB_Spender and cxgirl like this.
  5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Sorry, I have no idea on value but your second piece is very cool!

Joshua Brown likes this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

LOVE the second piece. I know nothing about them though.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  7. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Second one is a Sukunda oil lamp.

Joshua Brown, antidiem and cxgirl like this.
  8. CGB_Spender

CGB_Spender Member

Totally awesome. They would make a fine addition to any collection.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  9. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

What happened to when now all we get are people wanting to sell??????

I think there are more folks that find us when they are researching their items to sell than ones that are looking to just hang out with people who collect things. Besides quite a few regular members are planning on selling lots of items that they show & ask about all the time.

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And then they vanish....
    Yes, I have done it once, when I just couldn't find an item remotely like mine (Egyptian Revival pendant) anywhere. Turned out no one could, some nice reactions though. For the rest I have mainly put in my few cents worth of knowledge, which I thoroughly enjoy, just like most of us. That is what this site is supposed to be, enjoyment of sharing and gathering knowledge about things we love (or hate;)). Sharing finds and personal stories. And if needs be, help each other on the road to finding a value -this one on this site sold for..- , but we are not appraisers or valuers.
    Yes it is, Newari, from the Kathmandu Valley in Nepal. Used in the Sagun ritual, a typical Newari puja ritual performed on special occasions, to honour the Hindu God Ganesha. Puja is a Hindu ritual to honour and worship.
    This is an unusual one, with very nice enamelling which points to a northern Indian influence.
    It has a spoon with which oil is transferred from the vessel to the puja lamp, the leaf shape in front. Most antique Sukunda lamps have lost their spoon.
    The little figures underneath the Puja lamp proper and on the handle show the Tantric nature of Newari Hinduism.
    The Buddha looks Nepali as well. It is not as old as it is pretending to be. The base looks like the Buddha was for genuine Buddhist use, it was made to hold a sacred text or other sacred object, but that doesn't mean it is antique.
    Both items have the Vishvavajra sign on the base, one of the most powerful symbols of Vajrayana Buddhism, which stands for the four winds and the powers that created the physical unverse.
    Vajrayana Buddhism is the kind of Buddhism practised in the Himalayan region. It is also practised in some other parts of Asia.
    The fact that the Vishvavajra sign is also on the base of the lamp, is testimony to the fact that many Newari people practice both Hinduism and Buddhism.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

A lot depends on where you are going to sell them :)

Joshua Brown likes this.
  12. Asian Fever

Do you have any suggestions where I can see them? :)
    Tired of ebay or some online auction and don't want to some small local auction houses.
    One of my friend sold an NGC certified PF68 1 kilo panda silver coin for only 850 in a small local auction house in WV in 2015.(After commission, he only got less than 600.):dead:

Joshua Brown likes this.
  13. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I suggest you plan to sell them on ebay or etsy.

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I doubt either one has any real age to it, but they're both cool. I'd suggest Etsy rather than Feebay, since that seems to be where the cool/odd/handmade items stand a good chance of being found. On Ebay they might just get lost in the shuffle.

Asian Fever and antidiem like this.
  15. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I know of some stinker on ebay who could buy them, mess them up, and claim they are antique! :eek:

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Two words - shoe polish.

antidiem likes this.
  17. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I realize we are not appraisers & I will direct someone to a sold item listed on the internet, but it would be foolish of anyone to give someone an appraisal without having the item in hand.

I made the comment because it struck me that it was expected that the only people who were going to post about items were someone who was going to keep the item for their own collection or for sentimental reasons.

Maybe I was wrong & if so I apologize if I offended anyone or hurt their feelings,

18. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

No feelings hurt here

I frequently ask for help on identification. Occasionally I will ask for a pointer on value.

Always the case that we do our research first and only ask for help if are stuck.

And all help is gratefully received :)

Christmasjoy and Joshua Brown like this.
  19. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Sometimes when watching Antiques Roadshow, if I like what I'm hearing from one of their appraisers, I'll make sure I kept his/her name and see if I can contact them.....it's worked out (at least being able to contact them!!!) a couple of times!!! And they had some good suggestions.....

20. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

It happened the opposite way for me... I was trying to find somewhere to sell some rare first editions and I came across Kenneth Gloss from... your state's capital Aquitaine (that's Boston for those who aren't up with US Geography). So I talked with him and he made me a good offer but I wasn't quite ready to part with the books....Sigh:sorry:; so anyway a few nights later I saw the same guy on Antiques Roadshow:wideyed:. Turns out he has been the main book guy on A.R. for a while; if anyone in the New England area has books to sell he does good business. Here's his bookstore's website: http://www.brattlebookshop.com/about/
    :D

Rayo56 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted