GOLD 18K Unknown Ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Gage Tarnaski, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Gage Tarnaski

Gage Tarnaski Member

Hello, this ring was tested at 18k with an x-ray but marked 14k, its green gold, I wanted to know the age and origin of this ring it is superb and obscure!
    inside reads Renee to jack
    so COOL!!!!! the level of goldsmithing is very advanced
    Etruscan?

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I doubt it's Etruscan; it doesn't show signs of being excavated. If I were to guess I'd say Turkish or other Middle-eastern. Are there any other marks at all besides the karat mark?

Gage Tarnaski and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The technique to apply the small gold balls is granulation and craftsmen have been doing it for centuries.What was in the gold content for to be called green gold?From the sloppy construction and excess solder it's possible to be a student piece and less the 30 years old.

Gage Tarnaski likes this.
  4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

From Renee to Jack = Both of those are modern names. I doubt someone would take a ring that's 2000 years old and inscribe it like that. 1970s?

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That is one heck of a strange design for a ring.

7. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

And it doesn't seem like it would be at all comfortable to wear.
    Is there maybe some kind of symbolism to the design?

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Kind of looks like a mushroom that's been impaled by a twig with a bow in the middle and two nuts and bolts sticking out of the sides.

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Someone had that made in Dubai or the UAE, I reckon.

11. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I agree.
    Renee had it made for Jack :D

12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Couldn't have put it better. The granulation alone does not make it Etruscan Revival, if that is the suggestion. It's such a mish-mash of decoration. Overall, it has a 70s look to me. It also looks more like a woman's ring, so surprised Renee gave it to Jack (which is quite an old nickname for John). I can only guess that the elements had private meaning between them.

13. Gage Tarnaski

Gage Tarnaski Member

14. Gage Tarnaski

Gage Tarnaski Member

a revival piece I meant but what I meant by Goldsmith was the tiny ornate designs on it! So what can we say this is with certainty?

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  15. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The "Vintage 1949" at the end of Bev's post is her signature, not a comment on your ring.

16. Gage Tarnaski

Gage Tarnaski Member

so could we say 1970s Etruscan revival ring? it has no other markings, what could we call the shape and yes it sure is the most uncomfortable ring ever!

kyratango likes this.
  17. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

There is nothing Etruscan revival about it,it is a modern design piece with granulation.Since there is no maker's mark or hallmark the piece could been made almost anywhere in the world in the last 50-60 years,maybe just 5 years ago in a jewelry class since the finish is poor.

See videos about granulation from a number of countries .... https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gold+granulation+process

18. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Were both the top and the shank tested for fineness? Or the top only? Looking at the photo of the underside and the way the shank is attached, I wonder if this wasn't a decorative element from something else converted into a ring? The way the 'twig' runs through is very odd if this was always going to be worn on a finger. The shank may be 14K while the dome may be of higher quality. None of it looks green to me.

That Renee gave it to Jack & now it's yours?

Gage Tarnaski and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It would make perfect sense if the top of the ring was originally an earring.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

When my daughter trained to be a jeweler at Mass. Art , I saw many different levels of unique designs done by the graduate students.
    This reminds me of just such an experimental innovative design as I saw the grad class produce.
    You say it's uncomfortable.....that was one thing I noticed about the students works.....they were visually stunning.....but some were unwearable.

https://massart.edu/gallery?ia=91&ib=Undergraduate

What I read of the X-ray method....it's highly accurate...but only on the outer layer.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted