gold 2 1/2 coin

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Nancy Neal, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Nancy Neal

Nancy Neal Well-Known Member

well I made another booboo. somehow messed up my registration on Coin talk, need a little info on this case which holds coin says 2 1/2 $ Gold 1886, ,details are much clearer than in pics, would this be considered an Indian type or a coronet, looks as if she has feathers on head, , thank you for any help. IMG_8527.JPG IMG_8532.JPG

Attached Files:

Joe2007 and KingofThings like this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

3. Nancy Neal

thank you so much@Rayo56 here are more pics IMG_8539.JPG IMG_8537.JPG IMG_8535.JPG IMG_8540.JPG

lloyd249 likes this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Its a Quarter Eagle, it should weigh 4.18 grams 90% gold 10% copper 18mm diameter with a reeded edge.
    Condition is hard to tell as gold coins don`t photograph well.
    Its worth whatever the gold standard is on any given day.

5. daveydempsey

There is just something that bothers me about this coin.
    Yours is showing what is called the "Classic Head" which was on Half Eagles from 1834 to 1839.
    The 1886 should have the "Liberty Head" from 1840 -1907

See the comparison at the top of the head / hair

20413753_1655468_450-horz.jpg

6. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Nancy Neal likes this.
  7. daveydempsey

Nancy.
    You need to get a loupe and look at that date. Is it 1836 or 1886.

8. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

i can see 1836 for sure.

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That's what I read too - 1836.......

Nancy Neal likes this.
  10. Brvce

Brvce Member

Wow , very nice coin ! I'm a coin collectors since I was a kid . Bad shape coin still get worth slot depending on mintage ( how man made ) and get your coin graded always worth more !
    Now I've seen online exact like yours is 1836 not 1886 , never sell to pawn ! Always private auction , find someday who you trust and get a price guide book to double check . Good luck !
    90% Gold, 10% Copper
    Auction Record:
    $55,813 • PCGS MS65+ • 9-15-2015 • Stack's/Bowers

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Aquitaine, Nancy Neal and lloyd249 like this.
  11. daveydempsey

Nancy originally said it was 1886 and the poor pictures looked like 1886, that`s what Rayo saw too. That is why I suggested it had the wrong head.
    If it is 1836 and weighs the correct amount then yes its a good gold coin.

Nancy Neal likes this.
  12. Nancy Neal

Wow thank you guys so much,,You are all fantastic. I could not figure it out, The liberty on her head band is very faded, so I know that makes a huge difference in condition, I had a friend who dabbles in coins look at it, and he thinks it is a script 8, also that it is probably in fine to very fine condition, I have been offered 400.00 for it, but as yet have not accepted. Agai n thank you.

Joe2007 and daveydempsey like this.
  13. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I'm not sure how much of the weakness on the obverse of the coin is due to wear or alternatively weakness of the strike during minting. The reverse makes me think that a VF grade is about right for this coin. Looking at recent auctions on PCGS CoinFacts there have been several recent sales in the $400-500 range for third party certified coins. Since your coin is raw and as such is a bit riskier, I'd say $400 seems to be a very fair offer. It may still be a good idea to shop around a bit at local coin shops and shows and get a few more offers before deciding to finalize anything.

A local coin dealer in my area had one of these graded at XF-40 (slightly better than yours) by PCGS and was asking $625.

Draft saved Draft deleted