Gold acid test -- wasn't sure about result... help needed.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I have an acid testing kit for gold but don't tend to use it too often.

Trying to test a necklace which appears to possibly be gold with a replaced jump ring. It is a light weight necklace chain, so I am just gently rubbing the chain part softly, repeatedly on the stone.

It came on that Victorian Onyx cross I got which does test positively for 14K.

Necklace may not be original to the cross of course, but looks like it could be gold and seems to have some delicate quality. Here is what happens when I do the test.

Usually I've had the acid either not affect the gold (positive) or completely dissolve it (negative).

In this case somewhere in between. The 10K acid dissolves it, but not entirely. Two things happen. There are small gold specks in the acid, and around the edges it looks like gold (?) or gold color is pooling up in the very thin line surrounding the puddle of acid.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

how old is your kit...?
    Don't folks say they don't last that long..? ... the liquid can turn..

Christmasjoy, Lucille.b and Sandra like this.
  3. Lucille.b

Good thing to check, in this case not terribly old. Less than a year. And seems to be working perfectly for other things I've tested.

Just never had this exact result -- partial dissolution leaving gold specks, gold (or whatever it is) pooling up in a thin line circling part of the puddle of 10K acid on the stone.

Wondered if that maybe meant 8K or 9K or something different all together.

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Maybe 10k rolled gold?

5. kyratango

Could you post a close up of the chain with ends?:cyclops:

Christmasjoy, Lucille.b and judy like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Thanks. Here are two close ups. It is late in the day here, had a bit of trouble getting a perfect picture. As you can see the spring clasp (clearly not gold) does not match the coloring of the chain, the loop on the other end does. The chain shows zero tarnish. Photo because of low light makes it look a bit darker in one section, but that is just from the low light.

What do you think?

agold1.jpg gold2.jpg

kyratango likes this.
  7. Dmb

Dmb New Member

I’d guess gold filled. I often have residual gold floating in acid when testing gold filled...

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

doesn't strike me as a solid gold chain either...

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Why do you think the clasp color would be the same color as the chain? The only way to have the same color is to be plated in the same tank at the same time. All refineries have their own specific formulas for their gold alloys.

Christmasjoy and Lucille.b like this.
  10. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Rolled plate at best. Don't waste time rubbing chains on stones. Make a nick in the surface and test if there's something that turns green underneath with a drop directly on the spot.

11. Lucille.b

Sounds like gold filled then, thanks. :)

PortableTreasures and kyratango like this.
  12. kyratango

Thanks for the pics!
    Think gold filled or good quality thick plated, the clasp may be an old replacement.

Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, some kind of plating.
    Acid for silver testing doesn't keep long, but gold testing acid lasts much longer.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    kyratango and Lucille.b like this.
  14. taipan2

taipan2 Member

Sounds gold plated to me also. Take a magnet to it and if it grabs the item then don't even bother to test further.

PortableTreasures and Lucille.b like this.
  15. Lucille.b

No reaction to a magnet.

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted