Featured Gold and pearl cross..any information much appreciated!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by bobsyouruncle, Dec 21, 2017.

1. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

Hello again,
    My photo skills have been less than stellar and I only have one picture so hoping it can be seen.
    I purchased this for my wife some 20 years ago from a friend who was a picker.
    It is one of her favorite pieces but we have never figured out age or origin.
    I hope it shows in the photo..each pearl has a golden peg that holds it to the cross and the pearls do have some wear. The romantic in me hopes it is old from someplace in Europe. No marks at all thanks again. IMG_1014.JPG

kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like Chinese freshwater pearl beads from a broken necklace put into a pre existing metal cross.

judy, Christmasjoy and bobsyouruncle like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's lovely....what a nice gift to get for your wife !!!

kyratango, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

That is really just beautiful!

kyratango, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  5. bobsyouruncle

Thank you...I do love the cross...but after 35 years..my wife is still more beautiful and I love her more :)

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I don't think so.
    Notice the ones on the verticle bar are laying on the short side, while the ones going down are placed on the longer side. I think the cross was made to fit the pearls. Only my opinion, I'm not a jeweler.
    upload_2017-12-21_17-27-54.png

kyratango, pearlsnblume, judy and 5 others like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They do look like freshwater or river pearls, but not Chinese ones. They might even be natural ones. If so, you scored. First, landing the wife and later and less importantly the cross.

8. bobsyouruncle

Thanks Evelyb...no idea how I got her ..but I am very grateful:)
    who would know if natural or fresh? gemologist or jeweller

9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Most "jewelers" I have come into contact with are not jewelers but sales clerks and are very ignorant on many jewelry related topics.Many gemologist may not have experience with pearls also.

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm told the only real way to tell is x-ray.

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous pendant bob. Do you know the gold content? Even without marks that could bring us closer to the origin.
    Agree. I think it likely that these pearls are natural, but as far as I know, you will need x-ray to verify it.

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Those look like freshwater mussel pearls. If I saw them here, I'd say Scottish. Having said that, the cross style and setting are very typical of Sicilian jewellery.

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I was thinking along those lines, Italy or Spain. It would help if bob finds out what the fineness is.

14. bobsyouruncle

I'm out of town working again but must get a gold text kit. You are all amazing!
    How can xrays tell if they are natural? My work.............. :) is Imaging technologist..x-ray tech!

15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted