Gold box engraving

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Searchers, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Searchers

Searchers Member

hello , I’m trying to figure out what the engraving says on this gold cigarette case. I have no idea of its origin. Thanks in advance!! I have an album called “ gold box “ here , hoping anyone can see pics there.

Christmasjoy and Houseful like this.
  2. Searchers

Searchers Member

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Cyrillic script, so maybe Russian.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Bronwen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's photographing like silver & ivory. Is there something different on each engraved panel?

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

kiss me....that's stunning.............

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  6. Searchers

Searchers Member

It’s definitely rose gold and ivory, Russian would make sense. It was given as a gift in China to a Russian in maybe 1930 ish. Its got the same writing on each corner except lower right, the last word is scripted differently. I’ll put up some more pics

7. Searchers

Searchers Member

Also can anyone point me in the right direction as to establishing a value on something like this?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Bronwen

It is always helpful when first post includes everything already known about an item, so we don't spend time chasing down the same things. I was going to comment that the carving looks Chinese.

Mongolian can be written in Cyrillic. Is that a possibility? Inscription includes some characters that are not standard for modern Russian. Italic script also varies a bit:

Cyrillic-italics-nonitalics.png

@Figtree3 Can you make anything out of this?

Christmasjoy, komokwa and i need help like this.
  9. Searchers

Searchers Member

Point taken! I guess I assumed for sure it was not Chinese, due to the lettering. I also do know that the monogram does not match the recipient of that gifting in 1930. Tsintsin (sp?) is where I believe the gifting to have taken place

10. Bronwen

The more accurately we can describe it, the better the chance of finding something comparable that has sold at auction. We're still working on this.

Also, is it legal to sell ivory where you live? Ivory ban enforcement doesn't care about what you know, only about what you can document.

Would MRM be correct?

11. Searchers

Searchers Member

The monogram is definitely M.P.m.

12. Bronwen

If the initials are also in Cyrillic, the letter that looks like a P would transliterate as R.

13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

could be Tsientsin - today Tianjin - a port that had many different nationalities.
    another possibility when it comes to Russian would be Shenyang (Mukden) that had very big merchant posts by the Russians.

14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The other part on the right seems to say "in memory from (or of?) Borka? ... it is a name but I am not sure. Looks like Borki but the last letter might be a prepositional case ending.

@April07 and a couple of others might help. It is Russian I am pretty sure.

16. Bronwen

Thank you. Supposedly all corners except lower right say the same thing. We're waiting for a photo of the odd panel out. I couldn't match all the letters; is the usage a little archaic?

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  17. Searchers

Searchers Member

I believe all four corners are in the album, I just checked and saw them

Christmasjoy likes this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

As we still have no idea what size it is , I'll speculate that the way it opens & having no lock.....may preclude it from being used for tobacco products......
    unless it's just meant to sit on a desk !
    A photo of the reverse would add additional evidence ...blah blah blah.........:rolleyes:

Christmasjoy and Searchers like this.
  19. Searchers

Searchers Member

I just added a picture of the back next to a coin

20. Bronwen

Draft saved Draft deleted