Gold double link bracelet discoloration at solder(?) points??

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Jan 30, 2024.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

No reason to believe this isn't the real deal. Tests as gold and the maker is well known if you google POM 14K, this is what style they made with the double links.

My question is that I'm seeing black (solder??) joints. Honestly I didn't notice this until I started doing close up photos. The double links are soldered together in groups of 2 (so a double link loop soldered to another double link loop, to make little figure 8 groups in the bracelet---this is where I'm seeing a tiny spot of black.) Here are some photos. I wrote "yes" where I'm seeing it. Just made a note one spot was a reflection, I'm only seeing the darkening at what I believe are solder points.

You see from this photo, looks perfectly fine.

goldbracelet.jpg

Here is a super close up:

goldbraceletpaint.jpg
    goldbraceletsignpaint.jpg
    Anything to worry about? A scientist friend looked with a super loop and said the solder was finely done, yet there is this sort of black color if you look very carefully in close up mode. Am I over thinking this? Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2024
    Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks repaired from rough wear....
    maybe the solder wasn't right for 14k gold..

Lucille.b likes this.
  3. Lucille.b

Thanks, K.

But it's on every combined link set -- exactly where they did the groupings of two and two.

There is another POM 14K bracelet on Ebay and I think I'm seeing the same effect. If you look back at photo #1, you don't see it at first, but if you enlarge it you can see it in the links. I don't think repaired. But maybe something about the solder.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. komokwa

sorry, didn't notice it's on every set....

still thinking the solder was the problem..

5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

the solder is made with silver

6. komokwa

that would account for it going black.........

7. Lucille.b

Thanks Terry and Komo. Wondering how big of a deal it is. Just to be expected or is this a bit of a flaw?

komokwa likes this.
  8. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

I have a bracelet that's very similar. It acid tested as 14k and is marked 14k. I sold it on eBay and it was returned to me by eBay's authenticators saying that it didn't pass their testing. Still not sure what's going on with it. Here's a pic from the listing.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4L0AAOSwDiZllLQm/s-l1600.webp

9. Lucille.b

That's super interesting Sassafras. Thank you for sharing that.

komokwa likes this.
  10. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Both beautiful bracelets.It'd be a huge drag if Ebay pulled a listing because a bonafide 14K piece was 1/100th silver solder !?
    -that sites getting weirder & weirder.

Lucille.b and komokwa like this.
  11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

What are the dark lines in the photo?

gold bracelet.jpg

Lucille.b likes this.
  12. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The feebay authentication would have been for brand most likely

Lucille.b and mirana like this.
  13. Lucille.b

Holly, do you mean where the arrows are pointing? If yes, solder.

14. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

No,in the green circled area.

Lucille.b likes this.
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's an absolute classic design charm bracelet. The length will indicate the age, which I'd think is mid-1970s. eBay's inauthenticators are a bad joke. On sellers.

They're also expert at rejecting some factories of sneakers. Blue Goose I think - they're given the "weathered" look brand new from the factory, and the idiots keep rejecting them for being sold as "used" when brand new from the store.

Even the manufacturer couldn't sell their own merch as new if the Authenticators get their hands on the shoes. SMH.

Any Jewelry, Lucille.b and mirana like this.
  16. Lucille.b

Green circled area, oh right. I didn't put that color on there, should have spotted that!

The black lines are reflections from my black clothing.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. Lucille.b

It definitely is a charm bracelet style and it seems to be the only thing this POM company makes -- at least that made it to Ebay. 14K charm bracelets, although I did see one Sterling POM charm bracelet on there.

The Authentication is what I'm worried about now as well. Not even sure how that works. Am I forced to use that on Ebay? Got to think about the best way to sell this.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. evelyb30

If it sells for over a certain dollar amount and fits the criteria, you have no choice about authenticators. The rule is never sell anything on eBay that you can't afford to throw in the trash, sometimes with $20 on top if some yahoo does a chargeback.

Lucille.b likes this.
  19. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

I had four BIN listings for 14k gold that had to go through authentication on eBay a few weeks ago. On two I got the "congratulations" email stating that the items passed authentication and were on their way to the buyer. One notice said a group of 14k earrings did not fall under their guidelines for the authentication guarantee because it was in the wrong category (WHAT???), but they sent it on to the buyer anyway. They send them back if they're not 14k gold as advertised, so I'm not sure what the heck they were doing with that one. The last one was the bracelet that was returned to me as not authentic...which it is. It's a crap shoot on any given day.

Any Jewelry, komokwa and Lucille.b like this.
  20. evelyb30

Now you know why I sold any precious metal items worth any money to scrappers or antique dealers locally. Less money, but cash on the barrelhead and all sales final. And no eBay fees. I'm guessing other sellers are making the same calculation.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted