Featured Gold Lavalier /cameo identification

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Estateraiders, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Estateraiders

Estateraiders Active Member

Recently purchased this piece. I loved it and am curious to know more about it. Any idea the period this was made?

Also what type of cameo is this? is it pink glass? It has a iridescent quality like moonstone, but think its just my old eyes..and she has wings coming off her shoulders? Greek gold lavalier 6.jpg goddess or medusa?

It has no markings. But does test positive for 14kt gold.

thank you.

gold lavalier 1.jpg gold lavalier 3.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's very nice....maybe an angel...

kyratango and judy like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is beautiful.
    The pictures are a bit blurred, and my eyes are also getting older.;) Could you photograph front and back against a white background?

kyratango and judy like this.
  4. Estateraiders

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I do not know what kind of cameo this is. Every shell cameo I have ever seen never ever had a flat back. Lord knows I am NOT an expert on cameos but I stick to what I do know about shell cameos.
    greg

judy likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Raiders, I think you're idea that it could be glass is right. I can't see if it is actually carved, if it is it could be Bohemian carved glass.

judy likes this.
  7. Estateraiders

Yeah I was thinking that. .but what period of design would you guess. .and yes it looks like a piece of glass or moonstone.

judy likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The backing looks like carnelian, so it could be a banded agate easily. Orange on the back, pinkish in the middle and white on top is distinctly possible.

9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I agree, a hard stone cameo. Tests 14k, I think it's a winner :)

Figtree3, judy and kyratango like this.
  10. Linda Lu's Antiques

Linda Lu's Antiques New Member

From the pictures, it looks as though the metal has worn to a white color in places which would indicate gold plate or gold filled. The cameo appears to be a carved hard stone. Sometimes a cameo is glued to a background, but, you can tell with a loupe if it's a flat edge attached or carved. Style popular in 19th century, c. 1880.

11. Estateraiders

None of the gold is white. I am very educated on gold as I actually use to prospect for it when i lived in California in my younger years and know the difference between real gold, pyrite, plated and filled.

Btw, I don't sell on Ebay. I hate Ebay. I am asking for my own personal reasons. This piece is for my own enjoyment so please don't worry about the white in the photos. I'm not.because it doesn't exist. its shines a beautiful gold all over...as gold should. AND As I said earlier, I acid tested it.

judy likes this.
  12. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Don't forget people her have only your pics to examine :stop::pics:... YOU have the piece in hands...:angelic:
    By the way read again Linda Lu's Antiques comment:
    "From the pictures, it looks as though the metal has worn to a white color in places which would indicate gold plate or gold filled. The cameo appears to be a carved hard stone. Sometimes a cameo is glued to a background, but, you can tell with a loupe if it's a flat edge attached or carved. Style popular in 19th century, c. 1880."
    :rolleyes:;)

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Yes, approximate date (c. 1880) sounds good to me, too. And of course the agate/hardstone already posted by several people. I think it's beautiful!

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Basically weighing in to confirm what has already been proposed. The cameo is definitely banded agate, aka hardstone, although stones like this have been dyed to get some color into what was probably a pretty dull stone to begin with. These typically look like carnelian/cornelian on the bottom layer. Above that is often a layer that looks sort of a lilac, an effect created by the red showing through white, & then the figure is cut in the top white layer. Looks as though the top layer of this piece has a lovely translucence. The figure is more likely to be Cupid than an anonymous female angel.

15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, Bronwen!

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  16. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I like Bronen's idea of Cupid.

Is it a mix of rose and yellow gold? Or is this just the lighting?
    upload_2017-10-11_9-25-3.png

I have a Cameo ring on consignment in my store. The coloring is exactly like yours with that slight pinkish glow. It is set in sterling with an English hallmark.
    I would imagine jewelers could order cameos for all over the world. Just thought I would mention the English origin in case someone else has other info.

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Thank you Figtree. I look forward to 'meeting' the cameo addicts who hang out here, although think I already know one or two of you from elsewhere.
    Having been scolded in another thread for not putting up an introductory thread, I have now duly introduced myself.

18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Now then, having outed yourself as a cameo addict...this we gotta see.

Draft saved Draft deleted