Featured Gold ring help

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Rehsmj, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Rehsmj

Rehsmj Member

Hello,
    I recently found this 18BKt gold ring metal detecting and would like some info on it.
    H.JLY.CO. 18BKt is on the inside.
    I have been informed it maybe old but I can not find any info on this at all.
    Any assistance would be appreciated.

judy, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Caribou's House

Caribou's House Well-Known Member

Great find!
    I'm concerned about the spots on it or is that just the photograph?
    It also looks nicked and gold is difficult to nick.
    I'm assuming JLY CO means Jewelry Company and H is the company name. Funny, they are that modest to just use "H".
    With just the first letter, that will be hard to find.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The nicks could be from poor gold testing or from being buried and dug up.

Not the gold expert. Not seen BKT before. Can you tell us what country you dug it up in?

judy, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Rehsmj

Rehsmj Member

Dug up in the USA.
    Those nicks are the result of a possible plow blade and of a ring straightener. It was severely oval shaped and I had to put it on an aluminum tapered rod to get the roundness back.
    May have been hit by a plow blade years ago.
    I have found early Mid 1800s to 1900s coins in this field so I am assuming this is a ring from that time period.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Between having taken whatever activity went on in the soil, & having been the wedding band of a man who worked actively with his hand, not too surprising ring would have serious wear & tear.

It seems you are not the only person to have encountered this gold mark. The question has been asked, but not satisfactorily answered here.

judy, Christmasjoy and Rehsmj like this.
  6. Rehsmj

Rehsmj Member

Yes and Thanks. I am not getting anything anywhere. I can tell with these untrained eyes that it could be old, vintage, or antique.
    I assumed it being period mid 1800s-early 1900 because of the depth found is reasonably close to those old coins found nearby. In fact an 1849 Liberty Braided Large Cent found a few feet from it. I am just trying to put what I know together and make assumptions.
    I found as a reference a ring with the same identical 18BKt mark but with L.E. BOLT as a maker.
    I admit, half the fun is research but dead ends are tough.

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Looks like the question is who was the H. Jewelry Co.
    Can you search your county history for old jewelry stores.

judy and Rehsmj like this.
  8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

looks like 8 to 10 grams of 18 Ct. scrap to me. I'd not worry about the (20th C. ) maker, just some blokes in a shed somewhere.

judy likes this.
  9. Rehsmj

Rehsmj Member

Thanks all for your replies.
    Very much appreciated.
    From where I reside, I do not have the luxury of pre-1800 for history. My town was established in early 1800.
    I think the ring has historical value and anything that has history tells a story whether it was made here or imported.
    I did find on another forum the 18BKt mark was on a ring dated in the 1920s so I am getting close.

10. Bronwen

I wonder what kind of a ruckus there was when man came home & announced he had lost his wedding band. Extrapolating from the most meager clues, could it have been lost during the Depression because the man had lost weight & ring slipped off while working? Not made then, just lost then?

kyratango likes this.
  11. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Gold is a soft metal. Very easy to damage.

Bronwen and Rehsmj like this.
  12. Rehsmj

Rehsmj Member

And that is the history I enjoy thinking about.
    I like your theory.
    Even finding early 1900 coins you got to wonder. Money was hard to come by and losing as little as a dime (10cents American) would ruin a child's day.
    Oh and losing a Gold ring? I am sure these were not cheap and may have cost several weeks wages.

Bronwen likes this.
  13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My in laws gold wedding bands cost 10 dollars each in 1950. That was a weeks wages. My ex's engagement ring cost 5 grand in 1960. That was 2 months wages.
    greg

Bronwen and Rehsmj like this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

5 large......u musta bin in LOVE !!!!!:playful::playful:

Bronwen likes this.
  15. gregsglass

Hi,
    First love and she looked like Liza Minelli. She modeled shoes for a magazine. I always dated tall girls. She was 4"11" with heels. The rest to painful to recover though I always loved her.
    greg

16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I feel your pain , pal !!!
    I gave my ex....whom I loved deeply......a 3/4 carat.....but it was near flawless....and sparkled like a star on cloudless night !

( the stone was so remarkable.....she kept it...& gave it to her next husband , who put it in a new ring ....and married her with it !! :mad:..)

So, in effect.....my ex is still wearing my engagement rock !!!!!! :blackeye::blackeye:

17. gregsglass

Hi,
    My ex never remarried. She got 20 percent of every dollar I made until I retired. When I finally retired she was so shocked that the money was stopping she almost passed out.
    greg

18. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Here’s another ring which used bKt after the purity (i’m guessing you already saw this), this might be a good clue for dating your ring. I suspect it has a good amount of age, and any detectorist worth his salt knows that an 18kt ring comes out of the ground nearly as shiny as the day it went in.

http://treasure-detectors.com/2015/03/28/celebrating-a-100th-wedding-anniversary/

Some sights mention the B mark may indicate bonded gold, but just looking at it I find this highly unlikely. If a bonded gold ring was bent, you would surely see cracking or fracturing exposing the base metal. Another site suggests that a B mark indicates the source of gold as being from Mexico. It’s a unique mark, hopefully you find a few more similar examples to nail down the time.

This post makes me yearn for some digging, my Minelab Explorer Pro sits idly in my basement as I wait for spring...

Rehsmj and Bronwen like this.
  19. Bronwen

Sometimes I feel a new cameo is telling me something specific about the cutter or a previous owner. It may just be a hyperactive imagination, but gives the feeling of a personal connection.

How much time did the man spend looking for it before giving up?

Rehsmj likes this.
  20. Rehsmj

Rehsmj Member

No I did not see this.
    Thanks so much. This mark is identical to mine.
    That is an awesome story.
    I feel every bit of info obtained adds pages to the history of this ring.
    The land I found this on has yielded old 1800-1900 coins and many head stamps so I am assuming heavily hunted property in its day.
    I know what you are feeling. Winter is still here with 3 inches of snow out my door but last weekend was no snow and spring like so I hit the field.

Draft saved Draft deleted