Featured Gold rush nugget pin!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Jun 13, 2019.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Picked this up for scrap. It's a 19k 6.2 gram gold nugget with a pin on the back. C clasp with tube hinge leads me to believe it could quite possibly be a nugget from the Alaskan Gold Rush. Quite a nice chunky piece of gold! You can even still see some of the quartz attached as well. Looking forward to finding something to wear this on.
    20190612_200429_resized.jpg 20190612_200445_resized.jpg

aaroncab, BMRT, Atlantic Jim and 5 others like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised. Someone back in the Way Back When mounted the nugget with a tube hinge pinback. It might even be a California nugget for all I'd know, with that quartz in there. No matter what, a placer gold nugget that size is a great find.

aaroncab, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  3. spartcom5

Hmm I thought about the California Gold Rush as well. I have to do some research to see if Alaska gold had a lot of quartz. I do know however, California did....

judy, kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE IT !!! ... Joy.

judy and kyratango like this.
  5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Spartcom, that is a VERY cool piece - different, not flashy - just unusual.

Years & years ago, I had a business client who wore a honking big gold nugget on his pinkie finger. The nugget was set with THREE multi-carat diamonds. It was the ghastliest piece of jewelry I think I have ever seen - huge, ostentatious - and downright ugly!

Every time I saw that man, my eyes went right to his pinkie finger, and I immediately counted those 3 diamonds - I don't even know why, but I did it for years. For some reason, it always made me think of Las Vegas.

Xristina, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It sounds like the ring served its purpose.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Great find again, spart. Yes, it is 19th century, probably mid-century. But you would have to get it analysed to find the exact origin.
    As far as I know gold from anywhere in the world can come with quartz. I always thought quartz was the lode or matrix stone of gold. I know gold and quartz are found together in Europe, Asia and Australia as well.

8. spartcom5

78.53% Au and 21.47% Ag

Does this help to determine the origin? I read that technically this is classified as electrum and commonly dug around Nevada. Quite possibly could be California's gold rush?

9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

California, Oregon, Virginia and North Carolina can all have quartz in them. Probably gold from most parts of the world can.

aaroncab likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted