Featured Gold (Saint-Gaudens) Coins

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Doc J., Jun 20, 2018.

1. Doc J.

Doc J. Gold and Silver accumulator

I like art, furniture, and sterling silver on this forum.

I'd like to add older (1907-1933) gold coins designed by Augustus Saint-Gaudens. It's the most beautiful coins every made. And it sells for melt value (the price of gold).

Here is my latest purchase of a 1924 $20 St-Gaudens coin. This one happens to be a clad (the plastic wrap that certified it).

[​IMG]

And (the last two):

[​IMG]

You will notice the 1907 is "No Motto". The 1907 happens to be the last year of no motto coins. The later coins had "In God We Trust".

The good thing is that most all old U.S. coins sell for close to melt value. They are mostly 97% gold (90% struck but weigh in at 97%).

Just saying here. You buy at the price of gold with the beautiful design and get the design for nothing.:D

More on this later, but it is a "best buy" for anyone interested in old stuff.

serafino, Joe2007, Rayo56 and 2 others like this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

It's called a "slab" - Encapsulated and graded by NGC. The green label slabs are the older PCGS labels.
    Nice gold!

3. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I have a 1927 in MS-64. I really like old U.S. gold but it is hard to fit into the budget for me. There have been large hoards of U.S. gold found in Europe in the past several years and that along with their relative availability is part of the reason they sell near the melt value of the gold.

4. Doc J.

Doc J. Gold and Silver accumulator

Yes, the price of gold has been in a downward spiral for the last few weeks. It's due to higher interest rates and a better American economy.

I am not worried as I have a little saved for just this occasion.

The Liberty Head coins were made before the Saint-Gaudens (SG). The Liberty Head $20 is also 97% gold. It was made from 1850-1907 which makes it older than me.

The $20 coin is easily worth gold spot while they issued them in $10 and $5 (1/2 oz and 1/4 oz.). You'll never regret investing in old gold coins at the current market.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am not a gold bug but like owning a few coins just in case.

Gold closed today at $1269 /oz. That is $634 for a half oz. and $317 for a 1/4 oz. (all pictured above).

serafino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted