Good Afternoon Again Everyone! I'm hoping to get Information on this old Pendant

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by ezeepass, Jul 22, 2020.

1. ezeepass

ezeepass Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I have another piece I got today. This is an old porcelain Chinese pendant with a seal on back. This listing stated that it was brass, but i bid because I like it. it tested sterling silver. It also came in what looks like a silk box with ivory or bone closure. I hope you can tell me what the seal means and it age. Thank you as always and enjoy your afternoon.

zzzzzzzz99 (5).JPG zzzzzzzz99 (4).JPG zzzzzzzz99 (1).JPG zzzzzzzz99 (2).JPG zzzzzzzz99 (3).JPG zzzzzzzz99 (6).JPG zzzzzzzz99 (7).JPG

kyratango likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The piece of porcelain may be old; the pendant not necessarily so much. It's one way to make good use of shards. The 'bone' toggle for the latch is plastic. All sorts of Chinese gift items come in such boxes.

The seal looks like it has been placed over the remains of sticker adhesive. More to give the illusion of age & value than to guarantee it.

Fid, reader, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

"May be exported" but beyond that no big deal.

reader, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  4. ezeepass

I saw that also regarding the sticker. Thank you bronwen

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  5. ezeepass

Thank you Bakersgma and no big deal it is then lol. I appreciate your response

kyratango, Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
  6. ezeepass

I am learning from you guys every time I post. So I sincerely appreciate all your input. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your teachings.

Houseful, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That looks like one of those jewelry pieces that was made from fragments of old Chinese porcelain. As I remember correctly, it would supposed to have come from a recently discovered shipwreck.

Debora

Houseful and Bronwen like this.
  8. Penelope

Penelope Member

A lot of those old porcelain pieces are found around the shut down factories in China. They make great jewelry pieces. If you're going to resell buyers like them but won't pay a heck of a lot.

Bronwen and ezeepass like this.
  9. ezeepass

Thank you Penelope

Bronwen likes this.
  10. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I like them. Lidded boxes are made from them too.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    Penelope and Bronwen like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The box is 1980s ish, they got brighter later on. Saw lots of these in Hong KOng, I rather like them.

Bronwen likes this.
  12. ezeepass

Good morning I found this on etsy with the same stamp on back. https://www.etsy.com/listing/543745...=sr_gallery-1-30&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

Bronwen likes this.
  13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Isn't the seal on yours different from the etsy one? Can't see yours well.

[​IMG]

Yours also appears to differ in the relative width of the silver support around the back edge; the other one looks a bit thicker. To me it just says there was/is more than one maker of these. The 'seals', which don't seal anything, are a touch I had not seen before. Guaranteed to fall off with regular wear.

ezeepass likes this.
  14. ezeepass

yes the seal is a bit different and I've seen these on sale what looks like residue of a seal that once was on the back of the porcelain. anyway, here is the image of the seal
    zzzzzzzzzzzz (2).JPG

15. ezeepass

Draft saved Draft deleted