Featured Good Afternoon All! I Hope You Are All WEll. Is This Pendant Zuni? TY

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by ezeepass, May 6, 2021.

1. ezeepass

ezeepass Well-Known Member

I bought this double sided pendant. The stones are real turquoise and coral and it is sterling silver. It is about 72mm by 55mm wide. I would like to know if this is zuni. I saw something similar on etsy being sold as zuni. There are no markings. Thank you for all your responses and stay safe.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZUNIZUNI2.jpg zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZUNIZUNI1.jpg IMG_3704.jpg zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZUNIZUNI.jpg

This is the link to the one I saw
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/827652...pvRl9gmSCEA5kSDTS6RHA5jHrOXV7odQaAuAQEALw_wcB

Any Jewelry, Xristina and i need help like this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Without a identified mark it's just another SW design.

reader, i need help and smallaxe like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

:muted:

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    reader and i need help like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I wouldn’t think it would effect the price to call it SouthWest. It’s a nice piece. :)

5. ezeepass

What I don't understand is not all pieces are signed so no one can say it isn't because it doesn't have a mark. If you don't know if it is or not that is ok. I do value your opinions, but at the same time I rather you say I don't know than write it off as something else. I am not disrespecting any of you and I apologize in advance if you feel I am, but please don't form an opinion unless you are completely sure yourself because I come here for the experts who can actually look at something and say what it is and I do take every word to heart because I am no expert and I am learning from you. Thank you again for all your help in the past and I hope you don't ignore my future post because of this.

6. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I think the issue may be a moral and even a legal one: it is against the law in the US to call an item for sale Native American if it is not verifiably such.

I don't think these replies were glib or dismissive, but just being based on that idea.

7. i need help

I think it is difficult to attribute a non-marked piece. Many members are of of the mind it’s best not to attribute a Native American tribe or maker, if it’s not marked.

8. ezeepass

I do understand thank you

9. ezeepass

I understand, but a lot of pieces are not marked by the makers. especially older pieces.

Any Jewelry, cxgirl and i need help like this.
  10. ezeepass

But thank you for your replies, I do appreciate it

i need help likes this.
  11. i need help

I will look for some past posts we had on “Old Pawn” jewelry, that was unmarked.

kyratango and ezeepass like this.
  12. ezeepass

Thank you!

i need help likes this.
  13. i need help

14. ezeepass

I saw this company they called themselves " SantaFeTradingCo" and they have a lot of Zuni items that are marked and unmarked and I wonder why they say it is zuni when they are no markings and they are not alone. This marking is confusing when you are trying to do the right thing and break the law

15. ezeepass

i need help likes this.
  16. i need help

17. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Federal law states if the piece is not identified by a maker's mark it is not Native American. https://www.doi.gov/iacb/act

Over the years thousands of SW style jewelry pieces have been made and sold by students,hobbyist,hippies/Deadheads,etc. with no maker's marks.

Millions of dollars of fake"Native American" jewelry has been sold to the public. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...e-american-indian-art-fake-forgery-hopi-zuni0

kyratango, Taupou and i need help like this.
  18. i need help

In other words, no one is implying an unmarked piece is necessarily fraudulent. But if it can’t be proven, it’s best, for a variety of reasons not to make an attribution.

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Outside of a few folks who are stellar in their field, I didn't know this was a site for experts.

Once a thread is started the are no rules for who can comment , or , how much knowledge they must possess in order to voice an opinion.

If one is here only to hear from experts , I would suggest that they place the rest of us on ignore , to drown out all the extraneous noise...!

I have bought and sold 1st Nations jewelry as a business starting in 1989....but I know that I am far from calling myself an expert.

So , not being one of the experts , I will be adhere to expressed wishes & accommodate by not expressing my opinions in this matter, or any others that may be brought forward by members who place no value in what I have to say.

Happy Birthday......!

Gus Tuason and cxgirl like this.
  20. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@ezeepass, the one on Etsy is from the Gold & Diamond Exchange...with a person to message.....you can always email and ask to see the Zuni maker's mark.....

kyratango, cxgirl and patd8643 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted