Good afternoon Everyone! I need your help in identifying this bottle and a markings Thank you

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ezeepass, Aug 20, 2020.

1. ezeepass

ezeepass Well-Known Member

First, I hope all are well and safe. Ok, the first is this milk bottle decanter. It looks like there were some decorative hand painted flower designs on it, but most of it is gone I was wondering if you could tell me the age and where it might be from. I was thinking it might be from China or Japan, but I could be wrong. The second is a small Buddha that has a “S” marking on the shoulder sleeve and hoping someone will recognize it, if it is a marking at all. I looked on like and couldn’t find anything. Thank you as always for your help and enjoy the rest of your day.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbuddDDD (11).JPG zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbuddDDD (13).JPG zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbuddDDD (17).JPG zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbuddDDD (16).JPG zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbuddDDD (14).JPG zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbuddDDD (15).JPG zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbuddDDD (6).JPG zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbuddDDD (8).JPG zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbuddDDD (9).JPG zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbuddDDD (10).JPG

2. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

EAPG Society has the bottle among their unknowns
    http://www.eapgs.org/patterns/pattern-details.php?idx=6212

but EAPGpatterns has it as:
    Pattern: Gargoyle
    AKA: Monkey Face; Lion Head
    Description: Gargoyle (Milk Glass) Cologne Bottle (sans stopper)
    Form: Cologne Bottle
    Manufacturer: Gillinder & Sons
    Pattern Number: Not Currently Known
    Date: 1905
    ------Pattern Design Descriptors------
    Primary Pattern Descriptor(s): animals
    Secondary Pattern Descriptor(s): lion, scrolls, monkey, face, hari, curls, beads
    -----------------Comments------------------
    Gargoyle is by Warman. The AKA Monkey Face is by Belknap.-------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    judy, Tanya and ezeepass like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the buddha is a resin mold.....a 2 dollar piece of nothing.........
    how that mark got there...what it means, who put it there, when it appeared, where it was made....... is unlikely to ever be known...........or of any interest.

In my opinion................of course.....
    others may find it intriguing .....and search the web for days on end....not eating, or sleeping...........
    but I don't know who they would be.............

BoudiccaJones, judy and Aquitaine like this.
  4. ezeepass

Thank you komokwa!

judy and komokwa like this.
  5. ezeepass

thank you so much tallcakes! now i have something to work with.

6. shannon emmert

shannon emmert New Member

BD64CA0B-18BB-455C-981B-E57D23ACC13A.jpeg 195BCE20-F4CB-4373-BBA6-C042F974579C.jpeg
    Were you able to find any additional information on this piece. I have a small lamp that seems identical. Thanks! ~shannon

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2021
  7. ezeepass

Yes I did! it is actually a large perfume bottle. I booked marked the page but will have to find it. When I find it I will post the link.

shannon emmert likes this.
  8. shannon emmert

shannon emmert New Member

thanks!

9. ezeepass

these are called gillinder gargoyle vanity bottles from the 1900's

10. ezeepass

or BISON

11. ezeepass

sorry these bottles were made by Dithridge Glass Co. that is what I found searching.

12. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

curious how/why did you definitively determine Dithridge???

Draft saved Draft deleted