Good enough for the porcelain and pottery mystery box?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rhiwfield, Jun 17, 2018.

1. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

We have a box full of old porcelain and pottery that we cannot conclusively identify (some have been shown on here) but which look interesting.

I'm not sure either of these two are of a quality to be included (maybe the blue and white one?) but I would be happy to be proved wrong yet again!

What do you think?

1. Shallow brown and green 7 3/4" dish with some extra paint splashes (used as a paintbrush rest?)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Shallow blue and white 7" dish or plate
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The second one is lovely, it is blue and white 19th or early 20th century Chinese provincial ware, made for export to Southeast Asia.
    In Malaysia and Indonesia this ware is also called batik ware, because it looks like the colour splashes on batiked cloth, which used to be mostly blue and white.

The first one could be Chinese provincial ware as well, but it is a design I am not familiar with.

3. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Thank you AJ!

Always grateful to have your thoughts on items and to learn at the same time.

Steve

Draft saved Draft deleted