Good Evening All. I need your help with identifying a stone and Q about the metal

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by ezeepass, Feb 6, 2020.

1. ezeepass

ezeepass Well-Known Member

I purchased this pendant two months at a thrift store. It came with a 24” gold filled chain. I took it home and put it away because I thought it was a nice costume piece because it had no markings or stamps. Today I came across it and decided I want to test it to see if it was real gold with my new kit. I tested it with 18k first and it disappeared immediately and then with the 14k and it stayed. I let it sit for 10 minutes and it was still there. I tested a few more times rubbing the same area on the tile just to be sure it was real, but dark stops are throwing me off and I don’t know if the stones are onyx, jet or something else. The entire piece seems handmade. What do you think and so sorry for the long read, and thank you!
    PB305967.JPG PB305968.JPG PB305966.JPG PB305974.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

did u place the liquid on the metal itself........? :eek:

3. ezeepass

Hi Komokwa! no I didnt, I only did it on the scratch on the pad a few times. Should I do that?

4. ezeepass

You also might laugh at this because I put a nail file to the metal and did a scratch test again

komokwa likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i couldn't see from the pic......no never put the solution on the item itself..

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It is probably black onyx. It's not as though it is rare or very expensive, so, if the metal is gold, the black cabochons are probably stone & not glass.

KSW and ezeepass like this.
  7. ezeepass

thank you

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like there are striations on the black stone. Maybe a type of black coral?
    Hawaiian black coral:

[​IMG]

ezeepass, Bronwen and KSW like this.
  9. ezeepass

How can I tell the difference.

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Try a tiny drop of lemon juice on the stone. If bubbles appear, it is coral.

ezeepass likes this.
  11. ezeepass

Ok thank you!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. MaJa

MaJa Active Member

The craftsmanship on the back of the pendant is bad. If it was made of 18k gold, I would expect a much better quality/workmanship.
    I would go for high quality gilding/ormolu, it often tests as 18k if you only scratch on the surface

ezeepass likes this.
  13. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I agree, don't file it and drop acid on the piece unless you are going to scrap it :jawdrop:

Penelope and ezeepass like this.
  14. Penelope

Penelope Member

Too many odd things going on there, take it to a jeweler so they can test the metal. That would tell you exactly what it is. :)

15. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The thread is 6 months old,if the OP decided to do something with it most likely it was taken care of months ago. Since no one knows who made it,there is nothing odd about the piece.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted