Good Morning Can you help me with dating this necklace?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by ezeepass, Dec 14, 2019.

1. ezeepass

ezeepass Well-Known Member

Good Morning!

I purchased this at a Thrift Store and was wondering if you can help me date this piece. It’s Onyx and what looks like Lapiz Lazuli stones with filigree clasp. Thank you for your help. onyx necklace2.jpg onyx necklace (1)2.jpg

Vintage Maven and Xristina like this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

There is nothing helpful on the necklace to suggest any date... sometime in the last 80 years.

ezeepass and Bronwen like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Given the colorway, length, and spacers, I'd think newer rather than later but... as above.

Debora

i need help, ezeepass and Bronwen like this.
  4. ezeepass

thank you!

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I think, based on other necklaces of my acquaintance, that it was strung in China in the last 40-50 years. Are the beads lapis?

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. ezeepass

thank you!

i need help and Bronwen like this.
  7. ezeepass

yes some are lapis

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree. China often uses those Art Deco style clasps. It is a pretty and wearable necklace.
    The ones in between the smaller spacer beads look like lapis, the other beads are most likely onyx, as ezee said.

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

For me it is not those classic pearl clasps that are so widely used, both for time & location, I have used them on some necklaces I made. It is the simple design of mainly large beads on thick cord, very well & tightly knotted.

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

late to the party as usual, but this is a straight 80s necklace. It could have been made almost anywhere. Dollars to donuts the clasp has a bitty Sterling mark along one side outside. It might also be gold-filled.

Draft saved Draft deleted