Featured Good Morning Everyone! I Need Your Help With Identifying A Mark On A Mexico Bracelet! Thank you

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by ezeepass, Jun 20, 2022.

1. ezeepass

ezeepass Well-Known Member

Good Morning Everyone!

I have this bracelet made in Mexico. I have been searching the net for this mark and I can’t find it anywhere. It is not your usual Eagle mark, so I am hope someone will be able to help me with it. Thank you as always for all your responses and help. Enjoy this day and stay safe.

Cj
    IMG_0830.jpg IMG_0831.jpg IMG_0832.jpg IMG_0833.jpg

KSW, Simona Buhus, bercrystal and 3 others like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Good morning back! That's a pretty, older piece.

I see:

Sterling
    Hecho [Made]
    M____
    D.F. 925

It should read "Hecho en Mexico" but doesn't to my eye. The D.F. at least narrows possible makers down.

Debora

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Really nice, ezee, and I agree, it is an older piece.
    I have to go now, but I'll check my Mexican marks book later. Maybe someone else will have found it by then.
    It does say Mexico, but there is a small blob next to the 'e'.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Wow! I don't see it but... Trust your eyes. (There should be an "en" there too.

Debora

KSW and ezeepass like this.
  5. ezeepass

Thank You Debora!

KSW likes this.
  6. ezeepass

Thank You AJ!!

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

I think 'en' is there, but it is in the shadow of the clasp thing. You can see a slanted line after 'hecho', which looks like part of the E.

KSW likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

9. ezeepass

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Do you see D.F. too, Any Jewelry? If so, not Héctor Aguilar as his taller was in Taxco.

Debora

KSW, Figtree3, ezeepass and 1 other person like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

I must still have been half asleep.:banghead: Good thing you are fully awake.:playful:
    I feel like I've seen it before though, and it could be a mark by someone who had multiple marks. Which many talleres had.

ezeepass likes this.
  12. ezeepass

I am finding DF on some pieces like the link below. so DF could be something else?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/164400045160

13. ezeepass

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

D.F. stands for Distrito Federal or Federal District in English. It's a suffix that follows México, the city, to distinguish it from México, the country. (The U.S. parallel would be Washington the state vs. Washington the District of Columbia or D.C.) I'm not terribly familiar with Mexican silver marks but I believe at one point pieces carried the location of the taller or workshop. If I'm reading the mark on your piece correctly, that would narrow your search to a silversmith working in México, D.F. and not another location such as Taxco.

Debora

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well done! That does appear to be the same mark. An A.E. in heart according to the seller.

Debora

vintage-df-hecho-en-mexico-f-sterling_1_a9c49ca1c6ce7324c759efe494892d21.jpg

Figtree3 and ezeepass like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Great find!
    They date it through the absence of an eagle mark, which is not reliable. Post-1948 silver wasn't always marked with the eagle (tax evasion?).
    The ring looks 1950s Modernist to me. Your bracelet, however, could be pre-1948 imo. It has that 'feel'.

ezeepass likes this.
  17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It appears that the artisan behind the A.E. mark hasn't been identified but her -- the internet identifies her as a "she" -- work is quite good. (Example below.) I think your bracelet is 1940s too.

Debora

Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 11.02.49 AM.png

Figtree3 likes this.
  18. ezeepass

Thank you so much for working with me to help find the maker. I sincerely appreciate both AJ & Debora for doing this! <3 <3

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

You're welcome, ezee.:)

ezeepass likes this.
  20. ezeepass

Figtree3 and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted