Featured Goodwill Find Identification

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Gclement13, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Gclement13

Gclement13 New Member

2A0B1E9A-3C70-47F0-961F-72E66BDA6B72.jpeg AE6DB992-422D-4265-BBD6-660621EE700B.jpeg Hello everyone! I like thrifting around markets and second hand stores for unique finds and today I came across this really pretty Japanese vase. The problem is, I can’t find any online that look like it! It has a gold gilt around the top and handles, with lilies and a kingfisher (I think). I found some similar with peacocks but that’s it. It’d say it’s 1970’s and later, but is anyone familiar with it?

Kelly M., LauraGarnet02 and lovewrens like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Gclement13, judy, Ce BCA and 3 others like this.
  3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It says Bijutsu Toki. Yes, 1970s according to gotheborg.com.

Bakersgma, Gclement13, judy and 5 others like this.
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Just to add Bijutsu Toki means 'art pottery' so it's not a makers name, but a descriptor in this case.

Bakersgma and judy like this.
  5. Kelly M.

Kelly M. Member

IMG_7544.jpg To me that looks like an Otagiri Manufacturing Co. import. I have a vase, white with pastel iris with a similar mark. If you google image search "Otagiri black vase golden iris" or "Otagiri black vase handles" you'll find some similar to yours. I'm not 100% this is otagiri, I don't know all their marks, but it looks so similar. Sometimes they are marked Otagiri, but they imported a lot of items so usually it's a sticker that lets you know for sure. I find their stuff often at thrift stores, small vases and mugs mostly.

I found this site while looking up my mark, they might have yours there
    http://modernjapanesepotterymarks.blogspot.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2021
    judy likes this.
  6. Kelly M.

Kelly M. Member

Sorry OMC is Otagiri Mercantile Company. It's been a long day :wacky:

Msalicia, judy and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted