Gorham Sterling Sugar Tongs - Newer?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by KikoBlueEyes, Feb 24, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I was so confused by the information on Gorham marks, I thought I would ask here what age you thought these Gorham Sterling Sugar tongs were. I thought they were older as the design is very elaborate, but earlier pieces seems to have a variety of stamps including years. (Yes they are covered in tarnish, that's why the were only $2.25.) Can anyone help?

IMG_9340.jpg IMG_9341.jpg IMG_9339.JPG IMG_9338.JPG IMG_9337.JPG

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Many older Gorham designs were actively produced for decades! Did you look at every pattern carefully?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

It's possible that this design was not part of a full line. I couldn't find on my usual online sources.

What exactly is "Gorham Marks" ? A site ?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

No Sorry. I looked at sites that had Gorham Silver marks. I will look at the designs when I get home after 5 PM. Thanks for the idea on how to go about this.

5. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks for looking. I searched on sites that said they
    had dates for various marks such as
    Gorham Silver Marks & Dates - Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks (925-1000.com)

Gorham: sterling silver marks, hallmarks, dates and history (silvercollection.it)
    This very small piece has only this indented mark, which I could not find. That's why I asked. I'm just thrilled about finding it.

komokwa likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

It does looks like this mark on your tongs has had something additional "erased" on the left side of Gorham. Is there any other place on the back of the shaft with a similar erasure?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

That's the 'King Edward' pattern, introduced in 1936, the marks are what I'd expect...

~Cheryl

KikoBlueEyes and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Bakersgma

KikoBlueEyes and DragonflyWink like this.
  9. Bakersgma

That pattern fooled me. The close up picture was not in good focus and the flower closeup did not look right.

KikoBlueEyes and DragonflyWink like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

Sorry. I had a meeting at 3:00 today in another city. I couldn't find anything else. Just tarnish

11. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks so much Cheryl. I was thinking lily or something.

12. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks for the link. I have a new folder to put them in, so I won't lose them. So the date on these could be anytime up to the present.

Bakersgma likes this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

I apologize. I try to take good pictures. I was in a time crunch today and was so excited to find this piece that I couldn't wait to find out about it.

komokwa likes this.
  14. Bakersgma

No problem.

The only times you can associate a mark with a date is when you see one of the following = A patent date which only gives you the earliest date for the pattern, but can reflect that the mark on that piece was in use during that year; A company established list of Date Codes which confirm the date of manufacture of a specific piece ; or a confirmed record of dates for use of certain marks published in a reliable reference (these can be subject to inaccuracy from typos.)

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

Great information! Replacements has the pattern discontinued in 2009. I know better than to trust sellers, so that's why I like your links because you trust these sources. One difference I noted in these tongs was the middle section had a forked bit. Some I saw were plain.

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted