Featured Got a note regarding a Russian charcoal portrait

Discussion in 'Art' started by springfld.arsenal, Sep 29, 2018.

1. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I’m happy they think I have that kind of money (wrong!) but I’m not even an art collector. Wonder what a work like this would bring in Russia? Maybe Natasha can enlighten us?

“This portrait just came in and it is hard to keep my eyes off of it. The artist's talent and way of capturing the subtleties of a woman's beauty is mindblowing, at least in this work!

I will let you enjoy his delicate touch in this "Portrait de Jeune Femme" and please let me know if it is for you.

Alexei Alexeievich Harlamoff1840-1925 | Russian

Portrait d'une Jeune Femme

Signed “Harlamoff” (lower right)
    Charcoal on paper

One of Russia's most important portrait painters, Alexei Harlamoff’s is perhaps best known for his romanticized images of Bohemian children and young girls. He painted his subjects with enormous sensitivity, and by the 1880s, he gained international fame and recognition for his work. As is evident in the present drawing, Harlamoff was particularly skilled at using very subtle and natural lines when composing faces - the soft lines of the charcoal clearly reveal Harlamoff’s extraordinary level of draftsmanship. His technical skill is evident in each and every inch, from his modeling of light to his delicate depiction of his subject's features.

The viewer is instantly drawn to the subject's face thanks to Harlamoff's masterful composition. The somewhat coy and withdrawn air of the sitter is a staple of his portraiture, along with the informality of his execution. His ultimate talent lay in his ability to evoke the natural beauty of his models, engaging the viewer with his unparalleled aesthetic impact.

Born in Saratoff in 1848, Harlamoff first attended the Academy of Fine Arts in St. Petersburg, where he won a gold medal and a travel scholarship in 1868. He used this scholarship to travel to Paris, where he attended the École des Beaux-Arts and worked with Leon Bonnat. He was particularly inspired by Rembrandt and frequently emulated the work of the Dutch master. During his early career, Harlamoff painted many genre and religious themes and also became an established portrait painter. He exhibited one of his masterpiece, Young Flower Girls, at the Glasgow International Exhibition of 1888, where it was greatly admired by Queen Victoria - thereafter he was recognized as "a favorite of Queen Victoria." He painted cultural giants such as writer Yvan Tourgueniev and singer-composer Pauline Viardot-Garcia, and soon counted many distinguished members of Russian aristocracy as subjects. Two of his more important works were of the Tsar Alexander II and Prince Demidoff-San Donato.

Paper: 18 3/4” high x 14” wide
    Frame: 30 1/2" high x 25 1/8" wide

The price is $58,500.”

[​IMG]

Sincerely,

Ludovic

[​IMG]
    Ludovic Rousset
    630 Royal St
    New Orleans, LA 70130

(800) 544-9440
    (504) 593-8318
    [​IMG]

judy, Any Jewelry, antidiem and 5 others like this.
  2. springfld.arsenal

3. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

It's Beautiful !!! .. Joy.

smcrae, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  4. springfld.arsenal

Assuming he had a real live subject, she was very beautiful, then or now, no question about it.

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I LOVE it!!!! It is a very delicate, soft and sensitive charcoal rendering that I think anyone would appreciate. I personally cannot see any part that I think the artist did not handle well. Right down to the pierced earring in her ear!! She is such a beautiful subject!!!!!

But I don't think I would attempt to dig up that kind of $$ to purchase if it were still for sale.......

judy, Any Jewelry, antidiem and 2 others like this.
  6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

beautiful portrait work, love it!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

for this price ? BUY. IMMEDIATELY.

Jivvy, judy and antidiem like this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I love how it's strong and delicate at the same time. Lovely!

pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

No chance. Way to expensive!! And to BIG of a gamble, way way to big!

Its all about subject, size, used medium and provenace. The paintings youve seen are all authenticated or come with provenace before they fetch such prices.

Charcoal, pencil and pastel drawings by this artist are around the $10.000 - $15.000 mark. Yes, A oil can fetch 5 to 10 times more than a charcoal or pencil.

I would be surprised if a auctioneer puts a value more than $15.000 on this work without provenace and that is if you can get it unauthenticated. There are no existing auction results of this specifick work, so basically everybody could have drawn this picture.

A auctioneer is not a expert. He or she buys data and base his value on auction results for the used medium and size. If he or she can not find any past auction result of this specific work than you are hard pushed to get it authenticated before you can put it up for auction.

Welcome to the artworld.

See prices below for drawings in pencil, charcoal, pastel.

Screenshot_20181002-060852.jpg Screenshot_20181002-060046.jpg Screenshot_20181002-060030.jpg

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. benbenny007

Maybe if you lucky this could be a study for a oil painting. You can use the website ArtNet to go trough his listed works and see of you can find the oil. Even if you find it ypu will have a fifty fifty chance to get it authenticated.

Charcoal by the artist are not that sought after like his oils.
    This one recently came up for auction in sothebys and had a estimate 10.000 - 15.000. UNSOLD
    Many of his charcoal pictures you'll find in past auction results are UNSOLD.
    Screenshot_20181002-064027.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

thank you, you saved me.:grumpy:

Jivvy likes this.
  13. springfld.arsenal

The seller sends out emails about his way overpriced stuff, often. I’m thinking he must have some customers with deep pockets and shallow craniums.

14. benbenny007

I understand what you mean.

M.S. Rau Antiques got some crazy prices on their artworks.

They are just gambling.

Many of their works in offer are not even listed.

15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

how do you happen to get on his mail-list ?

16. springfld.arsenal

Call him at numbers listed above. Or apply via their website.

https://www.rauantiques.com/

17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted