Featured Got me a Bobbys helmet !!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Miscstuff, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

There is a certain ex English copper on the site who I’m hoping will tell me all about it. The South Wales badge is plastic so that probably dates it 70s and later and there is a mysterious faded orange stain that may be either blood (eek:woot:) or more likely curry. Not sure I want to know.

Data
    29.6cm end to end
    21cm wide
    0.53Kg

Cheers
    Stephen

a.jpg b.jpg c.jpg d.jpg e.jpg f.jpg g.jpg

AJefferson, bluumz, cxgirl and 7 others like this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

The helmet plates were nickel plated.

I think plastic came in around the late 80's early 90's.
    Most were Custodian but each force had its own design.
    Worn for tradition rather than practicality, although they did have their uses.:cool:

helmet.jpg

3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    guess where ?

4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I see - no Rolling Stones fans around...:jawdrop:

lloyd249 likes this.
  5. daveydempsey

Where Fid ?

6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Zurich 1967.

daveydempsey likes this.
  7. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I am wondering - do custodian helmets serve an entirely traditional/ceremonial role? Or are there still practicalities behind why they're still issued to serving police officers?

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

You can easily pick the copper out of the crowd when he's wearing one of those. No one else even wears a hat these days unless it's seriously cold out. That bobby helmet goes bobbin' along.

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Depends on the force. Some have gone over to diferent everyday headgear, but they're still protective for many.

10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Ooooh, I've always wanted one!

Wonder if that bobby ever wore that helmet again...

daveydempsey likes this.
  11. daveydempsey

These helmets offered virtually no protection whatsover.

If I was fighting which was often it was the first thing to come off, the same when running.
    If you had the chin strap down, they could be pulled backwards nearly garotting you.

In 1984 I wore a Nato helmet for 16 hours a day over a 12 month period.

Capture.PNG

These were great apart from when a petrol bomb was thrown, the heat took your whiskers off your chin.

One day I was driving an unprotected 16 seater into a major riot, a brick came through the drivers side window, hit my helmet, bounced off and my colleague sat behind did not have his visor down, he got it full in the face rendering him unconcious and missing a few teeth.

I just had some neck ache.

The second half of my career I did not have to wear a hat of any type.

Happy days.

bluumz likes this.
  12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

@daveydempsey
    Yep, the bobby helmets do appear unpractical... but they are, of course, iconic. I came across a genuine one here in the USA a year or so ago at an estate sale, probably from the 1970s, if I remember my research at the time correctly. Asking price was $30 US and I kick myself for not getting it. I'd love to display it with my English teapots and tea cups! :smuggrin:

daveydempsey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted