Featured Got two sterling silver ware today, anyone please tell me how roughly they worth? Thanks

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Asian Fever, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

First one is a 1925 Gorham sterling pitcher, overall good condition weighted 27.43 oz
    upload_2018-3-25_22-16-30.png

upload_2018-3-25_22-16-45.png

2. Asian Fever

The second I think it should be an Edward Power George IV Irish coffee pot. I was told it is between 1826-1827. Just want a rough idea how much it worth? It weighs 28.5 oz. Thanks
    upload_2018-3-25_22-22-36.png

upload_2018-3-25_22-22-51.png

upload_2018-3-25_22-23-9.png

upload_2018-3-25_22-23-34.png

upload_2018-3-25_22-23-55.png

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The second one is Dublin with a date mark for 1826; that's otherwise known as a score. Beyond that, you've got me.

4. Asian Fever

How much it roughly worth? Thanks

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

both nice....& good photo's also !!!
    what they are worth......more than silver melt weight...for sure.....specially the Irish one....!!!!

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Irish silver sells at a premium, but I don't know values beyond melt weight.

7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

both are beautiful pieces Asian:) I think your coffee pot is much nicer than the one in the Bonhams auction below
    here is an ebay listing for a teapot from 2015 so there are no photos -
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIQUE-1825-GEORGE-IV-IRISH-STERLING-SILVER-TEAPOT-EDWARD-POWER-/231551057543?nma=true&si=jXU7QLgu5eoHVCeux16YrznsdlM%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
    here is an auction listing also from 2015 for a coffee pot and small basket
    https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22825/lot/194/

8. Asian Fever

@cxgirl Thank you for your information. Appreciate your help. :)

9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

glad to help:) not sure if you are near a large auction house, if so it might be worth talking to them about it.

10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

12. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Helpful links, CX. Nice.

These two pieces are over the top gorgeous.

Please confirm this as I don't know silver well. Was doing a little research about "Irish silver" just to educate myself and it looked like the EP is associated with the name Edward Power.

(Someone jump in if I this is not correct.)

Anyway, there are one or two Edward Power sterling pieces on Ebay right now, not a teapot, but just another price comparison, possibly.

13. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

At minimum 55.93 oz of sterling @ 16.53 per oz = $779.41 but it would be a shame to scrap something like that!

yourturntoloveit and Asian Fever like this.
  14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Gorgeous pieces from well-regarded makers - and the Irish one truly old (yes the date is 1826-1827 since the dating regime works off a mid-year change - June I think.)

Here's the Edward Power mark, range of registration dates and examples of pieces on which it has been found. Spot on!

http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Makers/Dublin-AE.html#EP

(Asian noted Edward Power in her OP.)

The Gorham piece is also marked with the Whiting Mfg Co. mark. This about the time that Gorham took them over.

15. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Wow! Real treasures there,Im dying to know how much you paid. Are we allowed to ask that ?

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  16. Asian Fever

@Lucille.b @coreya @Bakersgma Thank you for your information and help. I spent over 2000 on these two, hope not losing too much money. I just started to collect silverware, I hope the learning curve won't be "too" expensive.

Each time, I see so many friends give suggestions and replies makes me feels peaceful no matter whether it is a good bid or bad bit. :):shame:
    I love you all!:kiss::kiss::kiss:

17. Asian Fever

2600 even include tax. I am always willing to share how much I paid. :joyful:
    I won't be disappointed if I spent too much, because I am still in the learning silverware right now. :D

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  18. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think youll see that back from the Irish piece alone,in the right venue. truly lovely stuff you have there. :)

yourturntoloveit and Asian Fever like this.
  19. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

VERY nice finds !!!:D

Asian Fever and Huntingtreasure like this.
  20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The coffee pot has been clobbered just like the tea set. Irish silver does command a premium though.

Draft saved Draft deleted