Gouda artist question

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by clutteredcloset49, Jun 16, 2014.

1. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

A customer asked me to find info on a Gouda low bowl. 10" diameter, 1" high.

From the marking on the back, I have determined Zuid Royal Gouda 1954.
    It is signed JOMA. I'm able to find other items by this artist. The orange peel texture and the yellow orange color scheme match others on the net.

However, I can find no information about Him/Her?
    I've already been to the Gouda site http://www.goudadesign.co.uk/page1.html with no luck.

Anyone have a book or better searching skills than I do.

Thank you for any info you can provide.

2. persona-non-gratin

persona-non-gratin Well-Known Member

Possibly 'Joma' is the pattern name ? The 3 examples a quick trawl brought up all have the same floral decoration.

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I do have the book The World of Gouda Pottery however they focus on what they call First Period 1898-1917 and Second Period 1918-1945. These I believe are the most desired and collected periods. The Third Period would date 1946-1964 so yours (theirs) would fall in that period.

Looking online at marks the word Joma seems to appear near the top of the mark so I too believe it's the pattern name based on the position of other pattern names on other PZH marks.

There apparently were so many patterns that they started running out of names for them and were naming them after every flower, female name etc that they could think of. "At one point, frustrated designers (assuming that every flower and female name had already been used) strung together meaningless combinations of letters. even a single letter, such as S, M or T, could represent a pattern."

The books lists many artists from the first and second periods but no one named Joma. They say that information about third period decorators is available at the Catharina Gasthuis Museum library if you wanted to follow that direction.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

say_it_slowly

Thank you.
    That helps alot. For some reason, I was thinking Joma was the artist name and not the pattern name.

I will take a look at the museum info and see if I come up with anything.
    Will let you know if I do.
    Thanks again

Draft saved Draft deleted