Graduated-Disk Necklace: MOP Maybe, but Maybe Not

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by wlwhittier, Jul 22, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

OA length ~16½", ~1.3 oz. The largest disks are ~.110" thick, ~.415" diameter; the smallest are ~.090" thick, ~.160" diameter. There are ~160 of them. They're strung on a monofilament; the 4 metal beads don't appear to be silver.

As much as their initial appearance is of MOP, under a loupe the texture is quite coarse, and has a micro-crystalline sheen. They're gritty on my teeth, coarser than pearls. I think they may be some kind of shell, perhaps freshwater, but don't know enough to differentiate them from MOP, which I associate with a much smoother, finer surface when worked in this manner.

The barrel clasp seems to be older, but I've no good basis for that.

Whatever opinions and observations y'all may offer will be most gratefully acknowledged...Thanks!

fullsizeoutput_9a70.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9a6f.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9a6d.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9a6e.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9a6c.jpeg

judy likes this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Knee jerk was puka shell necklace. Very popular in the 70s.

George Chaney, Lark, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

It looks a little too uniform to be puka. A true puka shell will be flatter on one side a kinda hollow on the other. If the disks are flat on both sides it might be a faux puka necklace.

George Chaney, judy and wlwhittier like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They look like bone from here, but Johnny nailed the clasp. Those barrels were in common use in the 70s to early 80s. Annoyed the heck out of me and still do, those clasps.

5. wlwhittier

Yup...dead flat both surfaces. So...if faux puka, what are they made of? Ceramic seems closer than shell, on reflection.

judy likes this.
  6. wlwhittier

Yeah, but they're too hard for bone, I think.

I'm gonna drop 'em inna ultrasonic, hoping to get the soil off of them. I realize there's some risk in that approach, but I've got nothing to lose, really. Pics of whatever survives will show here!

judy likes this.
  7. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

I have a similar necklace, and I call it faux puka. I am not sure what it is made of but it is certainly organic. Maybe she’ll, or tagua nut? Sorry I can’t be of more help.

judy likes this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yeas not puka shells but something natural more uniform in size.

judy likes this.
  9. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Coral? I always thought these were a type of coral.

judy likes this.
  10. wlwhittier

These being puka...or ?

judy likes this.
  11. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    George Chaney, judy and wlwhittier like this.
  12. wlwhittier

Well, they're our of the ultrasonic...double rinsed an' drying. Now they are stark white! Pics inna AM...

I'm now thinking they may very well be some kind of white coral...that would explain the semi-crystalline look, and the almost granular texture. I wonder what UV will do...

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Marko, the word 'coral' in those listings refers to the dyed sponge coral tube beads, not to the white discs.;)

Marko likes this.
  14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The word 'heishi' is coming to mind.

wlwhittier likes this.
  15. wlwhittier

That seems just right. I usually associate it with tubular silver...but several dictionaries confirm the accuracy of your comment. Thank you, Bronwen!

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted