Featured Grandma's Oak Buffet

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by NicNYC, Jun 16, 2018.

1. NicNYC

NicNYC Member

Hello everyone!

This is honestly my first time ever joining a message board but I am that curious to get answers about a piece of furniture my Grandmother has had her entire life. Today is actually her 90th birthday, I was visiting last week when she mentioned the Dragons on the piece she now keeps in her bedroom. My husband and I are both art people and have never seen a symbol like it on furniture.

It is oak and came from the dining room in the farmhouse she grew up in located in Western PA (coal country); her family was Ukrainian/Polish but she told us the piece, along with the table and chairs she also has came with the house when her parents bought it in probably the 1910s. So, essentially we have no backstory aside from the population of the area, also largely from Eastern Europe.

Internet searching has led me to believe it is from Slavic mythology but that is purely based on stylistic qualities. I would love to know if anyone has further insight into the symbolism or origin. My husband and I disagree regarding if we think it is European or American by a recent immigrant.

Any insight is welcome (and never mind the collection of largely Goodwill finds on top)!

Thanks!
    Details 1.jpg
    Full Buffet.jpg
    Details 2.jpg
    Details 3.jpg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Figtree3, pearlsnblume, judy and 5 others like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, NicNYC !
    What a beautiful and well cared for piece. Some who knows about its origin will be along, I’m sure. If you are still online, go back on your post, and check the first box that says show Full size for All images. :)

pearlsnblume, Lucille.b, judy and 4 others like this.
  3. NicNYC

NicNYC Member

Thanks, just updated (I think)!

Lucille.b, judy, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Love it!! And the chocolate set is the perfect accessory!

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

And let's not forget to wish grandmother a very happy birthday!

I wish I knew something about it, but I can say that the carved embellishments don't look American to me. Of course I could be wrong, but back in the period when it was made, it would have been darned expensive - and even worse to ship over if it's European. As you can tell, I'm in a quandry about where it might be from.

Our resident furniture guru is away this weekend, but I'm sure he'll chime in when he returns. Our European contingent will surely have some comments overnight.

6. NicNYC

NicNYC Member

Thank you :) She is very special to me and surprising her with some more information about it would be so great. Looking forward to more opinions as like you say, the details make it such a quandary!

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board and Happy B-day to Granny.

Those are not dragons, but Griffons.

American Oak.
    Late 1800s to early 19teens.

Wait for Brad to verify.
    @verybrad

Good finds from the GW

8. NicNYC

NicNYC Member

Plenty of time spent at the GW as a kid with her ;)

The lamp she said also came from the farmhouse (minus the shade).

9. clutteredcloset49

10. clutteredcloset49

I also noticed your Art Nouveau lady, next to your Mary Gregory style pitcher.

11. NicNYC

NicNYC Member

Her collection is based on what catches her eye, not any particular style or genre clearly :) It runs the full range!

12. clutteredcloset49

Those are the best kind.:happy:

13. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday to your grandmother; she's a lady after my own heart!

And, what Cluttered said about the furniture. :)

14. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think Cluttered is right about age,I could see this being 1870s - 1880s.Possibly made in Grand Rapids.Those carvings are giving me a pressed wood or machine carved feel.Lovely piece,and you can tell its been lovingly cared for.Happy Birthday Grandmother !

15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME, @NicNYC!! @verybrad I don't think will be checking in until about Wednesday, but I'm betting @clutteredcloset49 has probably hit the nail on the head. I too was thinking what @johnnycb09 has said about those 'Griffons' being possibly 'pressed wood' or applied, before he posted, and after looking hard at your very FIRST image, I am inclined to agree with him......if you look at the graining in the wood in the scales of the 'Griffon', they are not only different, but the angle is also different than in the wood behind the 'Griffon'......at least that's MY opinion.....

I also have to say what a perfect, beautiful and well cared for side board your Grandmother has!!!! Please be sure to wish her a VERY Happy Birthday!!!:singing::singing::):)

Please note, I'm not saying WHERE I think it's from because I just don't know.....the drawer pulls look replaced or new to me......has it ever, to your knowledge...been refinished?? Possibly, since you say it was IN the house your Grandparents bought, some of the other Europeans might have gone in to the furniture making business???? Just an added thought.....

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Nic. And a very happy birthday to your Grandmother, she sounds like a wonderful lady.

It is beautiful an well cared for. I love the very hungry griffins. I agree with Bakers, the chocolate set looks perfect with it. Give the griffins some chocolate, it looks like they need it.:playful:
    To my European eyes this looks American. It has a combination of period styles we usually don't see overhere.
    I'm with Johnny and Aquitaine on the more intricate 'carvings' like the griffins and scrolls, those are probably pressed wood. I'd say the period is late 19th century.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  17. NicNYC

NicNYC Member

Thank you for all the Birthday (and buffet) love, I'm sure she will laugh when I tell her I posted it online and that was one of the reactions :)

I did notice that the accents were added on top (not carved from one piece) and think overall the piece looks like it was early mass production. I actually noticed faint nail holes on the various figures. (I am the one who voted American between my husband and I.)

@Aquitaine it very well might have been refinished; she actually had the table refinished recently which broke my heart :( She is practical country lady in that sense, she wants it functional, not original. I am not sure about the drawer handles but she did show us how her father used to turn the bottom door pull (why its off angle) and put a piece of wood behind it so he could keep valuables in there!

It's been so great to see everyones comments :)

judy, Aquitaine, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  18. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Sometimes you can find a stamp of the maker, inside the drawers, in an inconspicuous spot.
    Also, I could be wrong, but I think those ascending bellflowers point to a specific region, or time period. Maybe someone will know.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    judy and Aquitaine like this.
  19. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Welcome Nic. Lovely sideboard and beautifully kept. Best Wishes to your GM, she has lovely taste.

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  20. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yep, agree with others above, I think EVERYONE'S grandma had one of these or the Curio cabinet with curved glass or both! Very popular in it's day, "Golden Age of Oak".

Draft saved Draft deleted