Featured Grandma's small covered basket & surprise inside!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by patd8643, Feb 24, 2019.

1. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Still going thru some of Grandma's things. Found this small 3 7/8" tall, 4 3/4" in diameter. Certainly shows wear to the top and bottom. When opened there were 3 little baskets inside. Where was it made, materials used, what is it called?
    Of the 2 small round baskets, one was woven with a hole in the bottom and the other looks like it had small 'handles'. The 3rd looks like it is missing a lid.
    Thanks for any help with any of them. I've probably had them 50+ years.
    Patd

Big Side 2.jpg Big Open 1.jpg Big Bot 1.jpg Big Top 1.jpg Smalls 1.jpg Smalls 2.jpg Smalls 4.jpg Sml 1.jpg Sml 3.jpg

2. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Northeast woodlands, probably Penobscot or Passamaquoddy.

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

4. anundverkaufen

Ash.

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

hole isn't in the bottom...it on the top...it's where the yarn goes thru....
    Gradma used these guys for her knitting storage...and the small ones for her balls of yarn.
    the big one could also be Mic Mac...??

antidiem, James Conrad, judy and 7 others like this.
  7. anundverkaufen

Definitely.

8. komokwa

while the big basket is very nice ...the damage hurts...but to my mind the small baskets...damage and all are very unusual !!!! as those puppies got beat up from use and tossed...

9. patd8643

Thank you so very much for everyone's help. I would never have figured that out nor the string/sewing piece. Wonder why Grandma saved them? But folks then saved almost everything in case they might need them.
    Patd

10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

My grandparents would have saved the string, too! :)

11. komokwa

women made baskets....women used baskets.....& these are very pretty ...well made....useful baskets.....why would any respectful lady toss them out...!!!
    :happy::happy::happy:

12. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The same kinds of ash splint baskets were (are) made by Native American groups around the Great Lakes region, Ho-Chunk (Winnebago) in particular. The third basket looks similar to those made with wood splints and sweetgrass, although the grass looks a little coarser than I have seen around here. Does it have a pleasant odor?

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

14. patd8643

When my Dad passed in the 90s we had a yard sale of all his saved 'stuff' that included a ball of saved string about 1' in diameter. Think someone paid about $4 for it!
    Will have to smell that little basket. We have a number of Gullah baskets sweetgrass baskets floating around here.
    Patd

15. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The sweetgrass used by the Gullah is a different species than the sweetgrass used by the Great Lakes and Northeast groups of Native Americans, and the shared name causes some confusion. The Native Americans use Hierochloe odorata. It grows in meadows, and has a sort of sweet vanilla scent. It was used in basketry, and as a smudge/incense. The sweetgrass used by the Gullah is Muhlenbergia filipes, which grows in seaside marshes. It smells like fresh hay.

For identifying an older basket by smell, it can be helpful to confine it in a plastic bag for a day, which can concentrate any remaining odor. Don't leave it in a plastic bag for long term storage, though.

16. patd8643

Thanks 2MBs, interesting information. Will have to get a plastic bag out.
    Patd

yourturntoloveit and 2manybooks like this.
  17. komokwa

or hit it once with a mist of water ....

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted