Granite 18th Century Figurines

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN, May 18, 2019.

1. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN Contemporary Visual Artist, Female

Dear all,

been gone for quite some time and back here after graduation. Helping out again to identify some item. Any info/help is much appreciated!

There are 2 of these, which I believed to be Indian as one of them has the (pottu/bindi) on her forehead. I have googled for over a few days but to no avail. Now I'm not entirely sure of their origins in reference to the wings one of them has.

The back end is left rough and unfinished and I suspect it to be granite? I may be wrong. feel free to chime in.

Height: 11 cm
    Width: 6 cm
    Length: 17 cm IMG_6902.JPG IMG_6903.JPG IMG_6904.JPG IMG_6905.JPG IMG_6906.JPG IMG_6907.JPG IMG_6908.JPG IMG_6909.JPG IMG_6910.JPG IMG_6901.JPG

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Can you share any information on where you acquired these objects?
    The style of your figures looks similar to Central Asian objects, such as carvings from the ancient state of Gandhara (Afghanistan-Pakistan), and may represent apsaras - female spirits in Hindu and Buddhist culture. Apsaras are sometimes represented with flowing clothing appearing/acting like wings. Some Gandharan sculptures are described as being made of gray schist. The one you have posted appears to have originally been painted. I suspect that, rather than being unfinished, the rough back edges are the result of the carvings being chiseled/broken off of some larger object or architectural structure.
    For comparison as to style, here is a Gandharan example:
    [​IMG]
    https://arjuna-vallabha.tumblr.com/post/102923868267

Bronwen, kyratango and judy like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

One more question: how did you arrive at an 18th century date?

Bronwen, kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

Thank you for your help, most helpful. Appreciate it!

My dad got these from my grandfather and he has loads of items that I am trying to get an ID on. Yes, it does look similar to the photo reference, however, I have not come across this perpendicular type of body structure to any figurines. Perhaps I'll do more research based on the info that you have provided.

There is one more with the female figurine breastfeeding/holding her child real close to her bosoms. That is more reddish than the above-posted figure.

I was discussing with a friend and she suggested the 18th century, which now is probably not.

judy, Bronwen, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Mineralogically ...looks more like basalt than granite...to me.

judy, i need help, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  6. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

Thank you @aaroncab !

judy and Bronwen like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Only just noticed this, Yashini. I am pretty sure it is a Jal Pari, or Hindu mermaid. Jal Paris are actually Apsaras who fell into a river and were destined to stay there. Yours still has the Apsara wings, and you are right, she is from India.
    I should know the region, but can't find it in the labyrinth commonly referred to as my brain.;) If I remember, I'll let you know.
    She was probably part of a temple.

Found another Jal Pari:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/599252896/old-rare-stone-black-hindu-goddess-jal

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The material exposed where the surface has come away does look like schist or gneiss, with that glittery crystalline texture.

9. Any Jewelry

It looks like she was once painted, like many outdoors statues on Hindu temples are.

10. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

@Any Jewelry Thank you for taking the time look through. This was a tough one to crack and been sitting on it for days. Immensely grateful!

Strange that I could not find any other image than the one you had posted. They are beautiful though! I have another, quite similar to the photo below. However, my apsara has a child being held near her bosoms. I have attached the images below.

Thanks once again!!

IMG_7280.JPG IMG_7284.JPG IMG_7281.JPG IMG_7282.JPG IMG_7283.JPG IMG_7285.JPG

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Glad to have been of some help, I wish I had more info. And I wish I could remember the region. It is a start though, maybe it could lead to more.
    In Hindu mythology children are not always children.;) Those divinities can take many guises to get what they want.

12. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

@Any Jewelry Thank you once again. Haha, I'm Hindu and I had no idea... I'll do up more research..!

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Hinduism covers many different traditions, it is impossible to know all of them.:)

Draft saved Draft deleted