Featured Granite figure??

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Tsamp08, Aug 19, 2022.

1. Tsamp08

Tsamp08 New Member

I have had this for quite some time. Never really known what it was. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Appears to be made of granite. 15”tall and weighs 5 lbs 070D0E94-23A3-4A1C-9816-3B379FD2F473.jpeg B207A648-2CE7-4913-8467-53254AE04CAC.jpeg D8D977DB-7786-453F-A1FA-23394AE8249B.jpeg

judy, kyratango, Boland and 2 others like this.
  2. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Judging by the last picture it looks like it should be attached to a handle. It's intriguing and interesting.
    I'm going to call for @Taupou and @komokwa .

judy, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  3. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

It doesn't appear there is, but is there a connected hole at either end...i.e. is it a pipe?

Figtree3, Gus Tuason, judy and 2 others like this.
  4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

5. LauraGarnet02

It's 15 inches tall and weighs 5 pounds.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  6. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

OP, your figure honestly looks like it could have been some sort of weapon? If as Laura suggests the hole fits a wood shaft, it could have been used as a kind of "war hammer". I certainly wouldn't have wanted to face someone wielding it!

War hammer - Wikipedia

Imagined getting bludgeoned by a small stone mammal? Gnarly!

Figtree3, LauraGarnet02 and kyratango like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the legs would bust on the 1st strike...the beak on the 2nd..

Figtree3, LauraGarnet02 and judy like this.
  8. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's a ceremonial war hammer? I'd still be intimidated!

LauraGarnet02, judy and komokwa like this.
  9. Tsamp08

Tsamp08 New Member

Yes there is a small hole at the end. I forgot to include that picture. It is approx the diameter of a pencil.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

between the legs ???
    ya, that would have been helpful to know , right out of the gate !!!!!!!:meh:

11. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

Rather than granite it looks to be (?) steatite (pipestone) which is soft and easily carved. It was used extensively by the Indians in the U.S.

Figtree3, Tsamp08 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  12. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

There's your answer. It's a pipe. Add the photo of that for our viewing pleasure.

13. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I have one very similar. It’s a “bird stone” pipe. I also have a big, heavy one. I believe it’s a reproduction of something similar to what was probably discovered on some Midwest mound cultures site. Mine is done pretty well but I assume it’s not NA carved. Then again it could be but it’s not signed. I’ll see if I can find mine. It should have some value even if it’s not antique or NA made.

14. J Dagger

Ah yeh, I saw Bolands link and he hit the nail on the head I think. Here is mine. It’s also a heavy, hard stone. Unlikely what NA’s would use for a pipe. They used Catlinite a lot in the central USA. Guessing whomever made these big ones used a hard stone to make them seem like more substantial “relics” or something like that. BBE68D1F-DF32-4583-B7D9-CEC6F0202551.jpeg D8442530-465F-408C-BB90-E7229EA060E0.jpeg 417A76DB-13BE-4637-AFDE-C1FEBE2DD6B2.jpeg

15. LauraGarnet02

Well bowl me over! I would never have thought a smoking pipe could be so huge and heavy.

I suppose there is supposed to be some kind of a carved bowl with a tube that fits into the pencil diameter hole (wherever that may be..?) @Tsamp08 , I hope you will post the picture showing the hole.:watching:

Potteryplease, Tsamp08 and Bakersgma like this.
  16. Tsamp08

Tsamp08 New Member

Attached Files:

17. LauraGarnet02

Heehee... Does this mean the stem of the pipe goes between the legs? I thought komo was just joking. I was expecting the hole would be on top of the head.

So this means the large hole on the back is the bowl for loading the tobacco..?

I am so confused. I just did an image search for carved stone effigy smoking pipes trying to find one with all the parts. I don't find any. I can't visualize how this would work. :confused:

komokwa likes this.
  18. J Dagger

I’m pretty sure the functional pipes that were actually used were much smaller and lighter. I think these are relatively modern fantasy pieces inspired by real artifacts. I could be wrong but I’ve never seen a “real” one on this scale. Then again it was a communal activity meant to be passed around and they may have had weak wild tobacco that wasn’t trimmed in as refined a manner as now. So maybe some cultures would want a huge bowl. Pretty sure something like this wasn’t actually used though. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will think differently.

Gus Tuason, komokwa and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  19. J Dagger

Yeh you’re correct on how it would work. Pipe bowl on top, on mine pipe stem basically where the b-hole would be. Not to be crude but since you’re asking.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  20. Tsamp08

Tsamp08 New Member

So interesting!! Thanks everyone for all of the information!!

Figtree3, komokwa and LauraGarnet02 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted