Featured Great Grandmother's "costume jewelry"

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by antidiem, Jul 25, 2019.

1. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

As she called it. And, in 1957, it was. I climbed into her lap to play with her earrings when I was 3 years old and she gave her earrings to me to keep. Against my mother's protest, she took off her bracelet and gave that to me too! Said, "It's just costume jewelry." It was my first introduction to costume jewelry.

The earrings appear to be sterling, no idea if it's marked anywhere, sorry. This was my 3rd try to photograph these before they went into the box and I am unable to get good ones. The optics of my camera seem to be declining along with my eyesight. Thanks for giving me confidence to take care of the important stuff.

What could the bracelet be made of and what eras? SilverEarrings+Bracelet1x.jpg SilverEarrings+Bracelet2x.jpeg SilverEarrings+Bracelet3x.jpeg SilverEarrings+Bracelet4x.jpeg SilverEarrings+Bracelet5x.jpeg SilverEarrings+Bracelet6x.jpeg

KSW, BMRT, SBSVC and 9 others like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

What a lovely story. I especially like the earrings.

KSW, SBSVC, Xristina and 7 others like this.
  3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

First off, great story. That has to be some kind of record..."I've been collecting since I was 3 years old." Few could match that longevity. :)

Are the earrings marked Sterling? I see a mark on the end of the screwback, but can't quite make it out.

KSW, SBSVC, Xristina and 7 others like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've got very similar bracelets in goldtone, bought new by Ma in the early 60s.

KSW, antidiem, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Appears the earrings are marked sterling as Lucille said.
    The earrings appear to be a different flower than the bracelet. Is that correct?
    I think the bracelet is that silver plated pot metal that was popular at the time.

In the 1950s sterling was not an expensive metal. One could buy it at Woolworth's for very little. So Great Grandma was more attached to you than the jewelry. Wonderful that you kept it all this time and remember her giving it to you.

KSW, Houseful, SBSVC and 8 others like this.
  6. santiques

santiques Active Member

it is a nice story and nice set of jewelry!! Enjoy it

KSW, Houseful, SBSVC and 6 others like this.
  7. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

How nice that the earrings and bracelet go together, but do not match!

KSW, antidiem, Michael77 and 4 others like this.
  8. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Very sweet story - and Grandmother :)

KSW, Xristina, antidiem and 4 others like this.
  9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Some grandmothers are like heaven on earth. I had one like that too on my maternal side.

trip98, KSW, silverthwait and 6 others like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I agree with what everyone else already said. Especially about Grandma.

Firemandk, KSW, Christmasjoy and 4 others like this.
  11. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

12. antidiem

LOL! This is the truth of it though! :cat: My great-grandmother was a Nottingham, later I was fortunate to inherit some of her more valuable possessions. I don't have much left, lost some during Katrina, some not valuable to anyone but me.

The bracelet doesn't match the earrings, looks like something pot metal, has some breakages that I may have unknowingly put there as a child. I can remember wearing the bracelet in high school, never wore the earrings. They look art nouveau in style, not sure how to date them with screw backs?

Thanks for confirming the mark, Pat. I couldn't see it at all, but thought something could be there. The optics in my camera are going bad, blurry, same as my eyesight, I will fix both problems when I can. (Thank y'all so much for talking to me about cataract surgery (on a different thread) and I'm going to look into it soon.)

hahaha : Scoutshouse! I remember thinking EXACTLY THAT at the time on GGrandma's knee!! :shy: :jawdrop: ALL OF MY GRANDMOTHERS LOVED ME AND TAUGHT ME SO MUCH!! :singing: I am forever grateful. :joyful:

trip98, KSW, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
  13. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I have a somewhat similar story. My grandparents went to Hawaii and when they came back they brought me and my brothers gifts. We were young kids.
    My grandmother gave me a red silk robe (may not have been silk but something like it) and I was over the moon as I felt so grown up.
    My mother uttered, that thing is what she brought you back? Ugh!
    :(:(

KSW, SBSVC, scoutshouse and 2 others like this.
  14. antidiem

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

GREAT MEMORY!!

KSW, scoutshouse and pearlsnblume like this.
  15. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

:happy:Beautiful, thanks for sharing/

KSW, antidiem and pearlsnblume like this.
  16. antidiem

Thanks, Marko! Lovely new cameo you're wearing! :)

KSW likes this.
  17. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Nice jewelry and wonderful stories. The earrings are sweet, but not Art Nouveau in style.

KSW likes this.
  18. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

I've been collecting since I was born! Still have my first teddy bear and rubber rabbits... That's what drives my Wife nuts! "More stuff? You already ran out of space 40 years ago!" (That was before we tied the knot!...) Hope never dies, but it ain't getting any better! If anything, just worse! Don't anyone dare take my toys and treasures from me!!! :D:hilarious::smuggrin:

KSW, Houseful, antidiem and 4 others like this.
  19. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Pearls: She for whom the word, "spoilsport" was coined! I had one too.

My Grandmother, however ...:joyful::p:shame:

20. antidiem

@Marie Forjan , what style are they? I cannot even tell what type of flower they are? :cat:

KSW and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted