Great-Grandmother's Lamp (Signed)

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jplunkett1, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Jplunkett1

Jplunkett1 New Member

I've been told that this lamp (which belonged to my great-grandmother are somewhat old - maybe 80+ years). The piece, which is hand painted with scenes on both sides, is signed in the bottom of one of the scenes.

Looks like: "H. Poituw___" but not sure...

If anyone has any leads on this piece, I'd be very interested.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

Aquitaine and aaroncab like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

H.poitevin.....??

3. Jplunkett1

Jplunkett1 New Member

Yes! Good eye - I found a few pieces by Henri Poitevin - a few of which sold at Christie's.

Looks like it'd be around the turn of the century French. I don't know if it would have originally been a lamp though - it looks like many of his pieces were vases with a similar form.

If anyone has any more info on Henri Poitevin, it'd be greatly appreciated.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

they...here....keep me around for special occasions.....:playful::playful::playful::eek:

if you find out more...then , please share as well !!!!:happy::woot::woot:

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And we have a lot of special occasions.:)

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I only found one Christie's auction (see there was also a Eugene Poitevin piece auctioned through them):

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=5183545

Think it must always have been a lamp base. Otherwise someone had to do a lot of damage to an expensive piece of Sevres porcelain to wire it.

Love that it has come down through more than 1 generation.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

There are quite a few "H. Poitevin" with this auction being one of them. What I am noticing is that on some auction/sites these are listed as Sevres-style. Also some of the auctions were more than a few years back so the values might be way off.

If you're interested you could always contact a decent auction house and see what they say.

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...6183&sid=558356fa-afa7-4120-9691-57d69338acc8

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Those final auction prices at Christie's include the 25% buyers premium which only goes to Christie's and none to the seller. So deduct 25% to get the actually selling price.

9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Don't forget a possible seller's fee. Don't know about Christie's but could easily be 30% of the sale price.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Bronwen

100% + 25% = 125% 25/125 = 20% Deduct 20% for 'hammer price'.

SIS is absolutely correct that fees on the seller's end can also be substantial & something to take into account if you consider using an auction house.

11. Mill Cove Treasures

The last item I sold at Christie's had a 25% commission off the hammer price. They charged $750 for a photograph in the catalog and 1 1/2 or 2% for insurance.

Figtree3, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  12. Bronwen

If you had 12 cents left by the end, I'm impressed. Yikes!

Christmasjoy and James Conrad like this.
  13. Mill Cove Treasures

Yikes is right. I didn't even include the price for shipping and insuring to get it to them. That's why it isn't worth using the larger, well known auction houses unless it's a very high valued item.

14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

When I sold something at Christies, the buyers premium was added on to the final hammer price...........that I remember distinctly.......

Christmasjoy and James Conrad like this.
  15. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agreed, both Christie's & Sotheby's are gonna get their fees one way or another, no doubt about it. For a single object there is a 5k minimum so right off the bat they try and weed out the riff raff :)
    Having said that, they will negotiate fees if a large collection or very valuable single object.
    The buyers premium is 25% but that's not the end of the fees for the buyer, sales tax unless you have a tax #, paying with a CC/debit card? another 5%, add all that up, the REAL BP is in the 35%-38% range.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  16. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I thought it was illegal to add the bank card commission to the sale. At least here in CA it is.

17. James Conrad

Everything is illegal in CA, isn't it?

18. James Conrad

Just jerking your chain cluttered! But, when a location has trouble figuring out which bathroom to use, i'd say there are some issues there. :)

19. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

No starting in Jan. you'll be able to buy green ciggies. It's the grow situations that are illegal.

It's not the location that has trouble using the bathroom;) It's the people who can't figure out who they are that make a stink.:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

James Conrad likes this.
  20. James Conrad

Yep, i heard that.

Draft saved Draft deleted