Featured Great grandmothers unusual victorian couch + chair (1915?)

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Niddrie, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Niddrie

Niddrie New Member

I got this couch from a lady in her early 30s. All she could tell me about it was that her great grandmother bought it in 1915 (they had the couch in their family for over 100 years!). I think it is victorian in style but it is so elaborately detailed and I was hoping someone could give me some info on it or where I should look to find out more about it!
    Thank you very much!
    IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Niddrie.
    Stunning pieces, I think they would have been new in 1915. It has been re-upholstered, but I think the fabric suits the set.

3. Niddrie

Niddrie New Member

Thank you! Now that I think about it I did notice the couch cushions had zippers on the back of them but whoever reupholstered the couch had good taste! Would a piece like this have been hand carved at the time?

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes it would. Others will be along to tell you more about the style, etc.

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Would have thought this a tad later than 1915 but suppose it could be. It is a traditional revival style that is not a true reproduction..... borrows elements from several styles and mixes them up to create something new. Surely American in origin.

6. serafino

serafino New Member

Beautiful craftsmanship in those carvings. Just think of the work involved in making that furniture.

Draft saved Draft deleted