Featured Great great great grandmother's necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Kayla Fake, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Kayla Fake

Kayla Fake New Member

Hello! I wanted to see if anyone has ever seen anything like this? This was my great great great grandmother's necklace and none of my relatives know anything about it. I can add more pictures, but I cannot seem to find any markings. necklace.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It appears to be a (woven) hair locket but hard to tell from your photograph. Additional ones would be helpful.

Debora

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hello Kayla, welcome.
    Looks like a locket with hair, does it open?

4. Any Jewelry

Oops, Debora, you got in first.:D

Christmasjoy, Debora and judy like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Thirded. It might be mourning jewelry, or just a memento of someone's loved one. A good shot of the back would tell us a lot more. I'm guessing rolled gold or gold fill at this point, but without a good look at the back that guess is worth what you're paying for it.

6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

And also we need to see the clasp :)

lauragarnet, Christmasjoy and Debora like this.
  7. Annpan

Annpan Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

It looks like it is Victorian Mourning jewelry and made from pinchbeck.

lauragarnet likes this.
  8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

To what era did your g-g-g-grandmother belong? 1890s? 1920s? It helps more to give her age than the title. My mother, for instance, was born in 1909. My g-g-g-grandmother would have been alive in the early to mid-1800s.

9. Kayla Fake

Kayla Fake New Member

Okay so sorry for the delay - I have more pictures. I'm not sure what year she was born, bit I'd say late 1800's early 1900's. I do not believe that it opens. IMG_0476.JPG IMG_0477.JPG IMG_0478.JPG IMG_0479.JPG

lauragarnet and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

You may not want to do this, but I believe you could open the front of it where the bezel goes around the little window through which you can see the hair. I don't suggest taking it apart, though!

lauragarnet likes this.
  11. PACKRAT

PACKRAT Well-Known Member

Hi Ann. I am not familiar with "pinchbeck". What is it?

lauragarnet likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Pinchbeck is an English gold tone alloy made of 83-93% copper, the rest zinc. It was used in English jewellery, so we'd have to know if there is an English connection in Kayla's family.

lauragarnet and judy like this.
  13. Kayla Fake

Kayla Fake New Member

Yes, English and Scottish on that side of the family.

lauragarnet likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

It is probably best to have it tested for gold, just to be sure. If it is pinchbeck, here is some info:
    http://www.jewelryexpert.com/articles/Pinchbeck.htm

Halfway down this page is something about hair jewellery:
    http://www.hairwork.com/remember.htm

As evelyb said, it could be mourning jewellery, but it could also have been a memento of someone who was still alive. Just like some people nowadays keep a lock of hair of a loved one.
    In many countries gold was considered to happy a colour for mourning, they would wear silver jewellery.
    The box chain is more recent than the pendant, but that doesn't matter if you want to keep it as a family heirloom. It fits, and the pendant is pretty enough to wear today.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Melissa Brown, lauragarnet and judy like this.
  15. Kayla Fake

Kayla Fake New Member

Thank you all so much!

lauragarnet and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted