Featured Great Lace Book Find

Discussion in 'Books' started by elarnia, Sep 16, 2020.

1. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

So I saw this book listed by one of my fav sellers with a start of $100. Thought it was nice but more than I could go, so I moved on. A while later I looked at it again and saw she had lowered the start price to $25 so I marked it to bid and did so, and got it. It is available on-line, but I thought it would be nice to have my own copy to flip through and in case the on-line copy got deleted. I got it yesterday. What I didn't do was read the description carefully - I was expecting a normal sized book - 9x12 or so - What I got is fantastic and an absolutely huge 15x20 and 13 pounds. Not a book to grab to have something to read in the loo :).

It's title says part 1, but it actually seems to be a bound copy of all 104 plates from parts 1-4 of the 5 part set. After a bit of research I'm thinking they were published in 1920-22 as 4 loose folio sets of 26 plates each and someone bound some sets. So I just need to find a copy of part 5, which has the text to go with the plates and which it seems wasn't published until 1925/6. I found one in Canada, which I may get. Maybe @nothernlightslodge can advise whether it's worth getting?

Haven't really ever been serious about collecting lace, just getting an occasional item I like, but I have been seeing some nice items at affordable prices lately. I may have to start. Let's see...a new collection means new storage, and cabinets or shelves to put it in, which means moving something else, which means a new shed... :angelic:.

(pictures from original listing)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Wow, that sounds like a good deal! I'm tagging @Northern Lights Lodge since the other tag didn't go through for you.

elarnia likes this.
  3. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

What a beautiful, wonderful book. Congratulations!

4. Modest Muse

Modest Muse Active Member

Great reference book. I'm a textile-o-phile but know nothing about lace and wish I did..

Figtree3, Christmasjoy and elarnia like this.
  5. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

Thanks!

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Hoooooollllly MOLIE! Am I envious! I am unaware of this one! Wish I had a copy!
    What a treasure!

Good, great, phenom find! YOU go girl!!!

Thanks for sharing!
    Cheerio,
    Leslie

7. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

I did some checking... looks like there might be 5 Volumes?

Leslie

Draft saved Draft deleted