Great Western Marble Works

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by shady54, Aug 7, 2020.

1. shady54

shady54 New Member

I saw this on Facebook market place and I thought it was a very interesting piece. I would love for some feedback (I don’t know any details on measurements or any other information yet). Sadly I think it is over priced for condition of piece (but could be wrong), they are asking $100 firm. Age wise would 1880-1900 be about right? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Pin & Cove or Knapp Joint dovetails dates it as: American, 1870-1900.

I have brightened the photo a bit to show it better.

Not in the greatest shape. Missing drawer pulls (the ones shown probably aren't the original ones) and I don't believe the marble is original either. Look at the right side of the picture at the marble edge, it looks blunt cut instead of the beveled edge like the front has.

My opinion: over-priced in this day & age of brown furniture not being what people want.

dresser.jpg

3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agree

Aquitaine and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

agreed, thanks

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Definitely overpriced. Odd that the marble wouldn't be original, because it is plainly antique. Perhaps it was re-adapted from another piece. Anyway, cool to see the marble labeled.

Aquitaine likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Gee, @wiscbirddog, you couldn't clean up the floor too???:joyful::joyful::joyful::hilarious::hilarious::D:D:p

wiscbirddog likes this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Agree totally on that seemingly blunt edge cut back right corner!!! But, to ME, also looks like it's possibly got a crack heading back on the left side......I know...could also be just dirt.....just sayin'..........too much $$ to take any kind of chance on!!!

dresser.jpg

Ghopper1924 and Lucille.b like this.
  8. Ghopper1924

I think you're right. That further lowers the value, I'd say to about $0.00.

Aquitaine likes this.
  9. James Conrad

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Speaking of... If you haven't already read, I recommend the short story 'Parson's Pleasure' by Roald Dahl.

Debora

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  11. James Conrad

Well, somehow I feel this isn't a genuine, built by Chippendale Commode, not even close! not even far away! however, it could use some TLC no doubt.

12. Ghopper1924

Roald Dahl: the one-time "King of Nastiness." Hard to believe from the guy that wrote Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, right?

Wrong. His short stories are nasty alright.

Draft saved Draft deleted