Greek Sorority Pin from the 1920's

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Potterygal, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Potterygal

Potterygal New Member

My grandmother attended Geneseo Normal school in Geneseo, NY in the 1920's. She was an English teacher. We have tried to find information on what sorority or social group this was. The Greek letters are Lambda, Chi, Chi. Any information would be greatly appreciated. My 90 year old father is very interested to learn what this may be. Thank you!

sorority.jpg

pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Lambda Phi Phi.

pearlsnblume, Fid, patd8643 and 7 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

My mother was a teacher & belonged to a sorority for teachers, Alpha Delta Kappa, as well as being an alumna of her college sorority. Nothing is coming up for this, so may have been limited in spread & disbanded long ago. The search continues. :)

kyratango, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Interesting that it's a lapel pin and not the form most often seen for women's organizations. I would look to coed/professional/scholastic groups and not exclusively social sororities.

5. Bakersgma

Have you been in touch with the school? It still exists. (I realize the pandemic may have sent the school's historians/archivists/etc home for awhile, but they might be available for email.)

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It is now SUNY Geneseo, I think...

7. Bakersgma

Yes, it is.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Your best resource would be the school's special collection/reference librarian. She would have access to vintage records (year books, student newspaper, etc.) many of which may well be digitalized.

https://www.geneseo.edu/library/liz-argentieri

Debora

Bakersgma and Bronwen like this.
  9. S Lowe

S Lowe New Member

Thanks for the link to the special collection/reference librarian. I may have found photos of the Alpha Delta Sorority at Geneseo Normal School circa 1910-12.

Figtree3, Bakersgma and Debora like this.
  10. Bakersgma

Are you related to the original poster of this thread, @S Lowe ?

11. S Lowe

S Lowe New Member

No, I just came across this post while trying to research the Geneseo Normal School and their sororities history. Hard to find anything abt them online. I believe my great grandmother attended the school around 1910 and I have many photos of her and her friends, whom I am trying to identify. I speak with the Librarian tomorrow, and will hopefully be able to find more info.

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. Bakersgma

Ah! Interesting coincidence! Good luck with your search and conversation with the librarian!

Draft saved Draft deleted