Greek Statues? Need Help identifying

Discussion in 'Art' started by Thomlonger, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Thomlonger

Thomlonger New Member

Cleaning out the old shop and stumbled upon these "Statues". Apparently, they have been sitting for about 50 years. I have been unable to find any information regarding these and would appreciate any help.

There is a some local folklore indicating the original owner was an artist by the name of David Zack who paid a debt with these to my grandparents but they are no longer around to ask.

The Bust is quite large and the other "statues" are huge. Both wall statues come in around 6 feet tall by 4 feet wide. All are very heavy. I am unable to move them without a pallet jack. I can see why these were tucked away and never moved.

The bust had a "serial number" on the back with "Musee Du Louvre" engraved on it. (see picture below).

I assume these are casts of the originals??

Any details at all would be greatly appreciated!!

Bust 2.jpg Bust 3.jpg Bust1.jpg Serial Bust.jpg wall 2.jpg wall 3.jpg Wall1.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The first one is replica of the bust of a famous French guy, it just won't come to me who again (old age :rolleyes:).
    @kyratango , @JACQUES BASCOULERGUE ?

I think #2 and 3 are replicas of the Parthneon frieze.

3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Thought Colbert by Coysevox, but a google image search doesn't agree:banghead:
    These pieces certainly come from "la chalcographie du Musée du Louvre" who make on order copies in plaster of the sculptures exposed.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The first is a Baroque bust. The others are what one assumes are reproductions of 2 Classical bas-reliefs and a sculpture.

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

The Famous Guy...!! Big time.!! Louis the XIVth..Creator of Versaille..!!!! Our King..Roi Soleil..!! That is why he married a Spanish Women in St Jean de luz....Check even on Ecu Coins of the Period..!!! You will be 100% sure..!!

7. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Sans aucun doute...Le fils d'Henri IV...et Pere de Louis XIII....Mais Belle posture statuaire avant sa vilaine Maladie...:)

8. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Pretty sure this is correct. Look into reproductions of the so-called Elgin marbles.

10. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Yes, 2 &3 are from the Parthenon frieze and 4 is an Athenian grave monument in the National Museum in Athens.

11. Any Jewelry

Yay, famous French guy!:joyful:
    I love St Jean de Luz, are you from anywhere near there, Basque Jacques?:)

kyratango, BTZ64 and Bronwen like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

He must have been in terrible pain.:inpain:

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  13. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  14. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Yes from Biarritz and Anglet...But living in Rainy Ireland for the last 20 Years....It is time soon to go back...Maybe next Year...??? Love St Jean big time..!!! Few Good Seafood Basque Restos there......And San Sebastian very near..Great evenings I always have with Friends.

kyratango, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

I have a mild addiction to San Sebastian. Whenever we went to visit friends in Madrid, I always insisted on spending some time in San Sebastian on the way. I love it, so stylish, beautiful seafront, and great restaurants too. My kind of city.:)

kyratango and BTZ64 like this.
  16. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Big time...!!! Gambara,Gorriti...Gandarias my favorites...I do love Corridas and love to spend the week end there...Soon...Soon..!!!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted