Featured Green "7 Way Susan" is it Anchor Hocking?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Emalinedawn, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Emalinedawn

Emalinedawn Active Member

I liked the color, so I bought it. It has the original box and packing which I really liked. It does not spin, says "Seven-way Susan." I know Anchor Hocking was from Lancaster, Ohio. Doesn't say it anywhere though. Age or any info is appreciated. I started avoiding glassware unless something I'd like to keep if doesn't sell, and love this so happy to keep it if it's not worth anything monetarily. Looks better in person, took quick photos sorry. For those that don't know me, telling me something isn't worth anything doesn't upset me. I love to learn about items I am not familiar with, and love things that don't have value, but age or history. I find things cool that some may not at all. I appreciate the answers to my questions tremendously, thank you! IMG_6606.JPG IMG_6630.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  2. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

It is AH with their Forest Green also available in Royal Ruby.

judy, Bronwen, cxgirl and 4 others like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

And it's gorgeous!!

judy, Bronwen, Christmasjoy and 4 others like this.
  4. Emalinedawn

Omg, I just looked at past selling prices!!! Wow!!! I got a major deal lol. I am SO glad I thought it was pretty lol. I didn't see any with original box either.

Is it a relish tray? What's it called? I know says Seven way Susan, I only see people calling things "Lazy Susan," but don't they have to spin?

judy, Bronwen, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Yes, Lazy Susans normally revolve. With only 5 green dishes and the one in the center (making six) does the crystal underplate make 7 pieces? Maybe there were 7 "ways" to use it in various configurations?

judy, Bronwen, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
  6. Emalinedawn

That was my question, there are 8 pieces. It's the original box, and all packing is still on it, there's no place for an additional piece, and everything has a specific slot packed firmly to the top. I don't think she ever used it. I've never even heard of a "Seven Way Susan." I guess 5 dishes you can put out, plus use center as candy dish, and bottom as serving tray maybe? That would make 7. Confused me too.

7. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

That's very pretty!

8. Emalinedawn

The box alone is very heavy, even without the glass. If it were to sell, what is the best way to ship? It's going to be substantial weight.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Bakersgma

I bet it came with instructions. ;)

10. Emalinedawn

I wish I had them! :)

judy, Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  11. Bakersgma

Okay - I got a hit for 7 Way Susan on newspapers dot com (to which I do not have a subscription unfortunately.) Oct 1951 in a local newspaper in Iowa. Probably an ad. The text they quote - 7 pieces, 5 servings dishes, covered casserole, revolving 14 inch tray. $3.98! :eek:

12. Emalinedawn

HOW COOL!! Well that answers my date question too. I've never heard of Newspapers dot com. I've been searching and I can't find another original box to see if there were instructions etc., so that really helps! Thank you Bakersgma! I've now found sets exactly like mine, that do not revolve. They did make one that did though, the bottom has a part on it that spins, it is made attached though.

13. Bakersgma

That kind of thing was very popular in the 50's. All those new post-war brides being bombarded with "new ideas" for entertaining and taking care of the house. ;) The age of Tupperware parties.

14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I miss the old days when those sold for 25-50 bucks. I used to buy them at yard sales for 3 or 4 dollars. I sold 3 of the green and 4 of the ruby glass. My favorite was a bright yellow which a "Friend" talked me out of for her collection. The no good SOB sold it for 90 bucks a week later.
    greg

15. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

this is from the "Old Café" line by Anchor Hocking c1930s-40s. These were offered as relish sets and also with the lazy susan option. There are still rotating 'glass' bases out there:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  16. FunkeysFinds

FunkeysFinds Well-Known Member

Absolutely stunning! A wonderful find. Congratulations ;)

Regarding shipping and weight; it depends on how you wish to sell this and where your buyer is located (to some degree). There is a very large AH, Fire King, Pyrex 'buying' group in Asia with deep pockets and if they want it, they will buy it, they understand shipping costs. Some of them send to folks in the US who send it on (I've dealt with those a few times and I know others have here).

On items like this, I typically put in my listing something like 'please note, this is a heavy, oversized item and weighs approximately 13 1/2 pounds after careful packaging.'

It is also entirely possible that a diehard collector in your own State may purchase this and the shipping costs will be minimal to them - you just never know!

Good luck with your sale.

17. Emalinedawn

Wow, what great info!!! So 30's-40's, Old Cafe AH. I saw one in 2012 sell for $400, dang wish I found it then :). I am so happy it had the box too, have yet to find one online. I'll probably list it for higher and let it sit, maybe a tad hoping it doesn't sell so I have reason to keep it ;). Thank you everyone for such amazing info. When I saw Lancaster, Ohio on the box, I assumed AH, but wasn't familiar with that green color. It's definitely beautiful and outside of a few bubbles inside, it's perfect. Not a chip thankfully.

18. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

I am guessing this a rotating tray made of non glass material that was made/added by Charles Mfg thus the box and the 7 way description. We had one made of a fiber board in the 1960s but with pottery dishes. No idea of name.

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Nice find......very pretty !!!

Christmasjoy, lloyd249 and judy like this.
  20. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Very nice, that is a lovely deep green.
    Don't show it to my wife, please.......

Draft saved Draft deleted